Iowa football notebook | Hawkeyes plan to vote, talk on-field win streak in November

Multiple Iowa football players voted on or before Election Day for the 2022 midterm elections.

Daniel McGregor-Huyer

Iowa Head Coach Kirk Ferentz stands for the National Anthem during a football game between Northwestern and Iowa at Kinnick Stadium on Oct. 29, 2022. Iowa defeated Northwestern, 33-13.

Chloe Peterson, Sports Editor

Iowa football head coach Kirk Ferentz made sure his players knew the importance of voting on Election Day this year.

Ferentz said representatives from the University of Iowa gave his team a 45-minute lesson on how to vote and voter registration.

“We live in the greatest country, and one of the rights that we have that’s so valuable is to get an opportunity to go vote,” Ferentz said. “We live in a country with a lot of people that have opinions but don’t really back it up with anything, so it’s a chance to go back, and if you have an opinion on something, go vote.”

The NCAA used to mandate all athletic programs have Election Day off to allow players to vote. Now, only offseason programs are required to take Election Day off. Iowa football players did not get the day off on Tuesday as they are in-season.

And Ferentz wasn’t a fan of the mandatory day off in the first place.

“I understood the federal, presidential election, but last year … seemed a little strange,” Ferentz said. “I think we caught up, I think this was a better approach. And I think the program last week was great. Some people disagree with that, but it’s nice to be in a normal routine, especially as we’re in-season.”

Iowa safety Kaevon Merriweather advocated for all of his teammates to vote and said he is going to vote Tuesday in the 2022 election.

“It’s definitely important, because every vote counts,” Merriweather said. “When we have an opportunity to make a change and we have the opportunity to impact or use your voice, I think you should always take that opportunity. That’s something that my ancestors, my predecessors fought for, and I think it would be a shame for me not to use … my voice and my right to vote.”

Quarterback Spencer Petras cast his vote last Wednesday during the early voting period. Wide receiver Nico Ragaini and linebacker Jack Campbell both said they planned to vote after practice on Tuesday.

“I’m super excited to go vote today, man,” Campbell said. “Yeah, I’ll go vote. I just think it’s a great opportunity every citizen has.”

Hawkeyes address November streak

Iowa places a lot of emphasis on playing good football in November.

“We just always know the importance of November football,” Campbell said. “Any good college program that’s gonna go on and do great things in the postseason, or the bowl games, you got to be playing your best football at the end of the year.”

Iowa has won 12 straight games in the month of November dating back to the 2019 season. The Hawkeyes’ last November loss came to Wisconsin, 24-22, in Madison on Nov. 9, 2019.

“We’ve always emphasized November football because that’s what defines you, typically, in college football,” Ferentz said.

After two consecutive victories, the Hawkeyes have put themselves back in contention to win the Big Ten West Division and go to Indianapolis for the 2022 conference championship game in December.

To get to the conference championship, first-place Illinois will have to lose two of its final three games of the season, and Iowa will have to win out against Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Nebraska.

“I think, for the most part, it’s just our culture,” Petras said. “We work in practice, and I think where we have an advantage is just the way we practice. You’re gonna see a cumulative effect of that the longer the season goes. We’ve said from the beginning that we’re going to be playing our best football in November if we’re doing things right.”

Petras, who is from San Rafael, California, also noted his fondness for Iowa weather in November — especially on the football field.

“We just take pride in November football,” Petras said. “It’s going to be — whatever it is — 30 degrees on Saturday. That’s great. That’s what you signed up for in the Big Ten and that’s what you love.”