Week 13 halftime reactions — Iowa vs. Illinois

Iowa’s offense has benefited from chunk plays, while Michael Ojemudia’s return boosted the Hawkeye defense in the first half against Illinois.

Iowa+defensive+back+Michael+Ojemudia+prepares+for+a+tackle+during+the+football+game+against+Illinois+on+Saturday%2C+November+23%2C+2019.++

Katina Zentz

Iowa defensive back Michael Ojemudia prepares for a tackle during the football game against Illinois on Saturday, November 23, 2019.

Pete Ruden and Robert Read

Chunk plays boost Hawkeye offense

On fourth-and-6 from the Illinois 31, Iowa needed points out of what had been a solid opening drive.

Hawkeye quarterback Nate Stanley had previously completed an 18-yard pass to Nico Ragaini on a third-and-10 before finding Sam LaPorta for another 22 yards on the next play.

Then, on the fourth-and-6, Stanley evaded a sack and hit Ihmir Smith-Marsette for 29 yards to put the ball on the Illini 2.

One play later, running back Tyler Goodson found the end zone to give the Hawkeyes a 7-0 lead. The play marked the second game in a row Iowa scored a touchdown on its first drive.

A chunk play also played a big role the next time Iowa found points. Stanley completed a pass to tight end Shaun Beyer — who had left the game with an apparent knee injury in the first quarter before coming back — for 40 yards to set the Hawkeyes up at Illinois’ 32-yard line. The Hawkeyes managed to take it to the Illini 5, but the drive stalled, and Keith Duncan kicked a field goal to give Iowa a 10-7 advantage.

Another 22-yard pass to Tyrone Tracy set Iowa up for a Keith Duncan field goal before the buzzer sounded for the break.

The big plays have been necessary for the Hawkeyes because they only racked up 12 rushing yards in the first half before heading into halftime with 39.

If Iowa can continue to take large chunks of yards against the Illinois defense, it could break away in the second half.

-Pete Ruden

Ojemudia makes return starting lineup

Iowa cornerback Michael Ojemudia made an immediate impact in his return to the starting lineup against Illinois.

On Illinois’ first offensive drive of the game, Ojemudia picked off Illini quarterback Brandon Peters on third down to set up the Iowa offense with great field position. Illinois only completed two passes Ojemudia’s way in the first half, one coming on the first offensive play of the game for the Illini when receiver Josh Imatorbhebhe caught an “out” route for five yards.

Ojemudia locked down his side of the field in the first half, but Illinois found success elsewhere in the passing game.

Overall, Peters is 10-of-20 passing for 96 yards in the first half. With 6:26 remaining in the first quarter, Peters found receiver Donny Navarro wide open along the right sideline and hit him in stride for a touchdown.

Peters has avoided Iowa’s pass rush through the first half. The Hawkeyes had only one sack through the first 30 minutes of play, which came with 12 seconds left in the half. For most of the half, the times Iowa came close, Peters evaded the pressure and got rid of the ball.

In the second half, getting pressure and finishing plays with sacks will be key for Iowa’s effort to pull away from the Illini.

-Robert Read

Twitter reactions