College football Week 13: A fight for the Big Ten East

“Things I’m thankful for: my family, friends, health, and the fact that I wasn’t born into a family of Husker fans. Emphasis on the last one.”

Nebraska+head+coach+Scott+Frost+addresses+the+media+at+Big+Ten+Football+Media+Days+in+Chicago+on+Monday%2C+July+23%2C+2018.+

Nick Rohlman

Nebraska head coach Scott Frost addresses the media at Big Ten Football Media Days in Chicago on Monday, July 23, 2018.

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

Big Ten Power Rankings

1) Michigan (10-1):
Oh, the places you’ll go (with a capable quarterback).

2) Ohio State (10-1):
Always keep your text receipts, Urban.

3) Penn State (8-3):

Put this team in the West, and it wins the division.

4) Northwestern (7-4):
The Wildcats’ strength and condition coach only eats creatine. #Unit 

5) Wisconsin (7-4):
Biggest disappointment in college football?

6) Iowa (7-4):
I bet Iowa wishes it played Illinois every week.

7) Michigan State (6-5):
The Spartans aren’t going for wins. They’re trying to see how many seasons L.J. Scott can suit up. 

8) Purdue (5-6):
Jeff Brohm to Louisville? 

9) Maryland (5-6):
Middle-school me could have made that game-winning pass against Ohio State.

10) Nebraska (4-7):
Imagine giving your golden child the keys to the Porsche, and then he crashes it. 2018 Nebraska football.

11) Indiana (5-6):
If Indiana is God’s country, he must not like football.

12) Minnesota (5-6):
It’s always cold in Minnesota, but when will P.J. Fleck’s seat get warm?

13) Illinois (4-7):
Lovie Smith went to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman. Why can’t he make the College Football Playoff with A.J. Bush? 

14) Rutgers (1-10):
*Turns on basement light*

Oh, jeez. You’re still down here?

Big Ten Schedule

Nebraska at Iowa (-8)

11 a.m. | FOX

This is Nebraska’s Super Bowl. The Huskers have nothing to play for except pride and bragging rights. Meanwhile, eight wins could get Iowa a decent bowl game. Guard Jalen Foster said that he “can’t wait to beat Iowa” last week. With a defense giving up 31.3 points per game, that isn’t happening.

Michigan (-4) at Ohio State

11 a.m. | FOX

This is usually the best game of the season, as far as Big Ten games go, and that’s true again this year. These teams hate each other, and luckily, we get to see that hate unfold in the form of a football game. Jim Harbaugh hasn’t beaten Ohio State. If you’re not beating the Buckeyes, then what are you doing for the program?

Purdue (-4) at Indiana

Noon | ESPN2

Well … this one should be … interesting? I’m confident many will forget about this contest with many other better games on TV at the time, but who knows, maybe this will end up being a shootout. That’s worth changing the channel at a commercial break to check on.

Illinois at Northwestern (-18)

2:30 p.m. | BTN

Northwestern is going to win this one. Pat Fitzgerald was mad his team was listed as an underdog against Minnesota last week. That’s not the case in this game. ’Cats by 30.

Maryland at Penn State (-13.5)

2:30 p.m. | ABC

If there’s any Big Ten game that has the chance for an upset, it’s this one. Penn State struggled with Rutgers last week, and Maryland went toe-to-toe with Ohio State (and should have won). Who knows which Penn State team will show up?

Minnesota at Wisconsin (no line)

2:30 p.m. | ESPN2

If this game was at the beginning of the season, I’d say Badgers by 30. Now, it’s a tossup. Wisconsin is on a downward spiral filled with disappointment to end the season, but Minnesota is fighting for bowl eligibility, and the Gophers are hungry (but is a 6-6 season in P.J. Fleck’s second year anything to really celebrate?).

Rutgers at Michigan State (-27)

3 p.m. | FOX

Let’s file this under “games Adam won’t watch.” Chris Ash’s days as the head coach of Rutgers are numbered, but I’m not sure who wants to take this job. Meanwhile, Michigan State doesn’t have much to be proud of this season, either.