By the numbers: Nebraska

Nebraska has been on a tear as of late.

Nebraska+quarterback+Tanner+Lee+is+sacked+by+Iowa+defensive+ends+Parker+Hesse+and+Anthony+Nelson+during+Iowas+game+against+Nebraska+at+Memorial+Stadium+on+Friday%2C+Nov.+24%2C+2017.+The+Hawkeyes+defeated+the+Cornhuskers+56-14.+

Nick Rohlman

Nebraska quarterback Tanner Lee is sacked by Iowa defensive ends Parker Hesse and Anthony Nelson during Iowa’s game against Nebraska at Memorial Stadium on Friday, Nov. 24, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cornhuskers 56-14.

Jordan Zuniga, Sports Reporter

As the Thanksgiving turkey cools and the shopping frenzy begins, Iowa prepares for its final regular-season matchup against Nebraska.

The Huskers (4-7, 3-5 Big Ten) lead the overall series between the two (29-16-3), but the Hawkeyes (7-4, 4-4) have won four of the last five matchups, including last season, when they trounced Nebraska, 56-14.

123.8 yards per game for Devine Ozigbo

It’s no secret that Nebraska struggled right out of the gate this season, dropping the first six games.

One of the Huskers’ struggles was the lack of production from running back Devine Ozigbo. Through the first five games, Ozigbo averaged just 57.8 yards per game and managed just 3 touchdowns.

In the six games since then, he’s been on a tear. Ozigbo has averaged 123.8 yards in the past few games and has notched touchdowns. In the six games in which Ozigbo has been on his A-game, the Huskers are 4-2.

With Ozigbo leading the charge, Nebraska has put together the fifth-most rushing yards in the Big Ten this season.

5,074 yards of total offense

Ozigbo isn’t the only one getting it done for this Husker offense recently, it’s been a group effort. This season, the Huskers have the second-most yards of total offense in the Big Ten.

While Ozigbo has certainly been the focal point of the offense, Nebraska has also had some significant production out of true freshman quarterback Adrian Martinez. He has 2,358 passing yards with a 64.1 percent completion percentage and 15 touchdown passes. More importantly than the yardage and touchdowns, however, are points, and Nebraska has had plenty of those lately.

After starting the year averaging just 23.3 points per game during their six-game losing streak, the Huskers have averaged 38.4 since.

31.3 points per game allowed

Part of the reason for Nebraska’s superb numbers on the offensive end is due in part to its lackluster defense, which has given up the 12th-most points per game in the Big Ten at 31.3.

Especially in the first six games, Nebraska’s offense would have to try to play keep-up with its defense, which gave up an average of 38.3 points a game.

Recently, though, the Huskers have solidified their defense a bit, and during the last five games they’ve only allowed 21.8 points per. Nebraska has won four out of those five games, indicating the defense, and the team, is starting to become formidable.