Iowa’s 2nd Congressional District: Who are the candidates?

In a race for Iowa’s 2nd Congressional District, 12-year Democratic incumbent Dave Loebsack faces Iowa City surgeon and Republican Christopher Peters.

Republican+Christopher+Peters+%28left%29+is+facing+Democrat+incumbent+Dave+Loebsack+%28right%29.+

Nick Rohlman

Republican Christopher Peters (left) is facing Democrat incumbent Dave Loebsack (right).

Dave Loebsack (D) – Incumbent

Age: 65

Hometown: Iowa City

Education: B.A., M.A. from Iowa State University, Ph.D. from University of California Davis

Stances:

Education: Loebsack has worked on making Pell Grants available year-round during his time in office. 

Health Care: Dave Loebsack supports the Affordable Care Act and opposes creating a Medicare voucher system. He also advocates for more funding for veterans’ mental-health care. 

Jobs/Economy: Loebsack believes farmers in Iowa need additional support as trade deals are being worked out. Loebsack also supports creating an infrastructure to create jobs and stimulate the economy.

Agriculture/Environment: Loebsack has supported increases in investments in renewable energy such as the ethanol tax credit. Loebsack has also advocated for implementing broadband in rural areas.

Immigration: Loebsack supports offering DACA recipients, and other undocumented immigrants currently in the United States a path to citizenship.

Christopher Peters (R)

Age: 58

Hometown: Coralville

Education: University of Kansas

Stances:

Education: Peters believes that there should be more private-school options, especially in locations in which the public-school system is not good.

Health Care: Peters supports more health-care options for patients to spur competition and lower costs both to consumers and the federal budget.

Jobs/Economy: As a believer in the free market, Peters supports creating fair competition among businesses to give customers more options. To achieve a balanced budget, he would reduce health-care and defense spending.

Agriculture/Environment: Peters supports free trade and believes the local level is more suited to dealing with environmental challenges.

Immigration: Peters wants to create more legal channels for immigrants to enter the country to cut down on illegal immigration.

RELATED: Who are the Libertarian candidates on the ballot?

Iowa Secretary of State’s Office
Iowa’s 2nd Congressional District is in the southeastern part of the state.