Letter to the Editor | Pulkrabek is the health-care candidate

A Solon nurse writes on why health policy is the reason she supports the Democrat in the Iowa House race.

Sheriff Lonny Pulkrabek speaks during a meeting of the Criminal Justice Coordinating Committee in the Johnson County Administration Building in Iowa City, Iowa on Wednesday, November 7, 2012.

As a nurse, I am a health-care voter. That is why I am voting for Lonny Pulkrabek to represent me and my family in the Iowa state house.

I am alarmed by the Republican effort to have the Supreme Court declare the Affordable Care Act unconstitutional. They are in court right now trying to make this happen. This will cause millions of Americans and thousands of Iowans to lose their health care. The Republicans have no replacement health-care plan.

Although Republicans claim they are concerned about protections for pre-existing conditions, the fact of the matter is the ACA is the only law that protects us from insurance companies denying claims if you have a pre-existing condition.

I am voting for Lonny because accessible, affordable health care is one of his top priorities.

I am encouraged that there are candidates such as Lonny who have the right priorities. For the health and well-being of my family, friends and community, I hope you will join me in voting for Lonny Pulkrabek.

—Jen Ferguson, Solon, Iowa resident