Brenna Bird takes Attorney General, several blue seats expected to flip

Republican challengers are projected to unseat the Democratic incumbents in the state auditor’s office and treasure.

Candidate for Iowa Attorney General Brenna Bird delivers a speech after being elected during a watch party for Iowa Republicans on Election Day at the Hilton Downtown in Des Moines on Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2022. Bird defeated Tom Miller in this year’s election.

Natalie Dunlap, Politics Editor

Iowa Republicans are projected to flip several state office seats from blue to red.

Statewide offices including the secretary of state, treasurer, secretary of agriculture, and attorney general are projected to be won by Republican candidates.

Republican Brenna Bird won the Attorney General’s race after Incumbent Democrat Tom Miller conceded the race. Miller was the country’s longest-serving attorney general, holding the position for nearly 40 years.

Incumbent Republican Secretary of State Paul Pate and Republican Secretary of Agriculture are projected to win against Democrats Joel Miller and John Norwood, respectively. 

Additionally, Republican Roby Smith is projected to unseat Democratic incumbent Treasurer Michael Fitzgerald, according to unofficial results from the Iowa Secretary of State. 

The only seat at the state executive or Congressional level where a Democrat has a lead is in the State Auditor’s race.

Democratic Auditor Rob Sand currently leads his Republican challenger Todd Halbur, though the margin is just over 3,000 votes as of 2:30 a.m. on Wednesday morning, according to unofficial results from the Iowa Secretary of State

Republicans had a strong night in Iowa, with the ruling party expanding their majority in both the Iowa Senate and Iowa House. Gov. Kim Reynolds won her reelection campaign and said she is looking to enact a bold conservative agenda.