UI announces Sandra Wong as first candidate for vice president for medical affairs, College of Medicine dean

Sandra Wong, the chair of the department of surgery at the Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth College and Dartmouth Health, is the first finalist in the search which began in February.

Sandra Wong was announced as the first candidate for the positions of vice president of medical affairs and dean of the Carver College of Medicine on Sunday.

Kate Perez, News Editor

Sandra Wong is the first finalist the University of Iowa announced for the next University of Iowa vice president for medical affairs and Carver College of Medicine dean. 

The announcement comes after former Carver College of Medicine Dean Brooks Jackson announced in February that he was stepping down and will return as faculty. 

Wong currently serves as the William N. and Bessie Allyn Professor of Surgery and has been the chair of the department of surgery at the Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth College and Dartmouth Health since 2015.

Additionally, Wong serves as a professor at the Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice. She is a surgical oncologist and health services researcher.

RELATED: UI names search committee for next VP for Medical Affairs

Wong is one of four finalists for the position. The finalists will visit campus to participate in open forums and meet with various groups, including faculty, staff, students, shared governance, and campus leadership. The other three candidates will be announced over the next two weeks. 

Each candidate will be announced 24 hours before their open forum. Wong’s campus visit begins on Aug. 22, with the open forum being from noon to 1 p.m. in 1110 Prem Sahai Auditorium in the Medical Education Research Facility, 375 Newton Road. There is also a Zoom option.

She will be on campus until Aug. 23. 

The next finalist will be announced on Wednesday, Aug. 24, according to the university, and will visit the UI on Aug. 25.