Iowa City engineer announces congressional bid

Newman Abuissa, Iowa City transportation engineer, launched a campaign for Iowa’s Second Congressional District on Sunday at an event at the Iowa City Public Library.

Newman Abuissa, a Syrian-American, talks about the Syrian peoples experience at the UICHR Syria Panel in the University Capitol Centre on Wednesday, September 11, 2013. (The Daily Iowan/Emily Burds)

Julia Shanahan, Politics Editor

Democrat Newman Abuissa, an Iowa City transportation engineer, launched a campaign for Iowa’s 2nd Congressional District on June 30 at an event in the Iowa City Public Library.

Abuissa was born and raised in Damascus, Syria, and received a master’s degree from South Dakota State University in civil engineering. He has worked as a transportation engineer for the Iowa Department of Transportation for 25 years.

Abuissa was board president of the Council for International Visitors to Iowa City from 2010 to 2013 and is the chair of the international affairs subcommittee of the Platform Committee for the Iowa Democratic Party.

Abuissa told the Iowa City Press Citizen in early June that his focus is establishing the U.S. as a leader on global issues, specifically on sustainability.

Abuissa is the second Democrat to officially declare a candidacy for Rep. Dave Loebsack’s seat, who will retire after his term ends after 2020. Former Iowa state Sen. Rita Hart announced her run for Iowa’s 2nd Congressional district in May. Republican Thomas Kedley, the Osceola mayor, is also running for the seat.