NFL Hawkeye James Daniels returns for graduation

James Daniels was drafted after his junior season, and this weekend he returned to Iowa City to receive his diploma.

Iowa offensive lineman James Daniels runs to the sidelines in Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 14, 2015. The Hawkeyes defeated the Golden Gophers, 40-35 to stay perfect on the season. (The Daily Iowan/Rachael Westergard)

Anna Kayser, Assistant Sports Editor

Former Iowa offensive lineman and current Chicago Bear James Daniels returned to Iowa City on Saturday for a very special reason: to graduate from the university that propelled him to the NFL. He and others took to Twitter to mark the occasion — and make it special.

First, Daniels was looking for his jersey for a special reason, and a fellow Hawkeye reached out to make sure it went to good use.

The University of Iowa was there to capture the moment and offer its congratulations.

Larry Mayer, a writer for the Chicago Bears website, offered his congratulations all the way from Chicago and Daniels’r new home.

Daniels, who was selected by the Bears in the 2018 NFL Draft following his junior season, used the occasion to mark his path from the University of Iowa to the NFL and back again.