Nonbinary author Sandy Allen sparks conversation on mental health at Prairie Lights

Allen read from their latest book, which explores their uncle's diagnosis of schizophrenia.

Sandy Allen reads the ending of their new book at Prairie Lights on Tuesday, January 15, 2019. Released today, Allen is promoting

Sandy Allen reads the ending of their new book at Prairie Lights on Tuesday, January 15, 2019. Released today, Allen is promoting "A Kind of Mirraculas Paradise". (Alyson Kuennen/The Daily Iowan)

Alyson Kuennen

Alyson Kuennen

Alyson Kuennen

Haley Triem, Arts Reporter

Sandy Allen stood before the quiet crowd in Prairie Lights, holding one finger up and dropping their voice, imitating an uncle and quoting him.

“ ’87 Debbie had a little girl she named Sandra; Elvis had died in ’87 but I really never thought too much of him; also in ’88 Bush was elected president: in ’89 the Berlin Wall collapsed.”

RELATED: Famous Poet and LGBTQ Activist to speak at Prairie Lights

Allen read excerpts from the book A Kind of Mirraculas Paradise: A True Story about Schizophrenia at Prairie Lights on Jan. 15.

Allen’s book is the result of years of dialogue between writing and Uncle Bob’s 60-page manuscript detailing his experiences as someone diagnosed with schizophrenia. The book is inventive and touching, with direct quotes from Bob’s manuscript in typewriter font that interject Allen’s “normal” account of the story of his life and death.

Allen did not want the author’s part of the story to be considered any more “normal” than Bob’s part. Through the book and through conversations about mental health, Allen seeks to challenge the labels given to people by society. Never does Allen discredit something the uncle said because of his diagnosis.

We place mental illness as the problem within the individual, [when really it’s] how society sees that individual.”

— Sandy Allen

“Why does Bob’s life have to be a tragedy?” Allen said. “I’m inspired by Bob to end normalcy. We place mental illness as the problem within the individual, [when really it’s] how society sees that individual. We need to start seeing it in a way that places emphasis on the problem of society, not the individual. I hope to challenge some of the preconceptions about what a story of schizophrenia has to be.”

While Allen spoke mainly of the uncle’s experience with schizophrenia, the author also advocated for destigmatizing labels of all kinds.

“I am, myself, gender-nonconforming and am nonbinary,” Allen said. “I’m out, and I’m interested in speaking out about the fact of people like me. There is a relationship between my coming out and this book. I’m writing about when people are given labels that very much affect their lives, and I myself have my own labels.”

Allen made it clear that this mindset could be applied to any label someone is assigned. Allen also emphasized that mental health should be a priority for all people, regardless of whether they have experienced a mental-health crisis.

“I think it’s important that those of us who don’t have a stake already in these conversations should better educate ourselves about some of the basics,” Allen said. “Too often, people only start to begin to learn about [mental health] when it’s too late. We need to ask ourselves how we can better help people and how we can stop viewing people as ‘crazy.’ ”

Haley Triem, Arts Reporter

Haley Triem is an arts reporter and cartoonist with The Daily Iowan. She is a sophomore at the University of Iowa and is studying English, creative writing,...

Alyson Kuennen, Photojournalist

Alyson Kuennen is a photojournalist at The Daily Iowan. She is a first-year student at the University of Iowa double majoring in journalism and international...

• Nonbinary author Sandy Allen sparks conversation on mental health at Prairie Lights

Arts

Stortz: Hate country music? You might not be looking hard enough

Arts

UI Professor Loren Glass writes book on Carole King’s ‘Tapestry’

Arts

Pulling the strings: puppetry in Iowa

Student Spotlight

Harmonies, harmonicas, and homework: the life of Lily DeTaeye

Arts

The music behind iconic films, discussed

Arts

Iowa Steel Bands drumming into town

Arts

Beer, rock to shake up Wildwood on 4/20

Arts

Pico Iyer will read from his latest, “Autumn Light,” at Prairie Lights

Arts

Marines are musicians, too; Marine Corps Band plays Voxman

Events

Video-game conference brings in professionals from the industry