Live updates | Iowa men’s wrestling competes in Session III of Big Ten Championships

Session III will begin at 11 a.m. inside the Xfinity Center.
Emily Nyberg
No. 4 157-pound Iowa’s Jared Franek wrestles No. 1 Penn State’s Levi Haines during session two of the Big Ten Wrestling Championships at the Xfinity Center in College Park, MD, on Saturday, March 9, 2024.

COLLEGE PARK, Md. – It’s Championship Sunday.

But first, wrestlers must continue to battle through the blood round.

Session III of the Big Ten Tournament — consolation semifinals (winner to third-place match, loser to fifth-place match) and the seventh-place bouts — will begin at 11 a.m. at the Xfinity Center.

Eight Hawkeye wrestlers still have a shot at third place, including Drake Ayala, Brody Teske, Real Woods, Caleb Rathjen, Jared Franek, Michael Caliendo, Patrick Kennedy, and Bradley Hill. Each has already qualified for the NCAA Tournament in Kansas City Mach 21-23.

Out of Iowa’s six semifinalists, only 197-pounder Zach Glazier made the finals. Championship matches will start at 3:30 p.m.

Check back for updates

CONSOLATION SEMIFINALS

125 POUNDS: No. 2 Drake Ayala (IOWA) over No. 9 Dean Peterson (RUT) via decision 

Period 1: No score.

Period 2: Peterson starts down and escapes in two seconds. Peterson got in on the right leg near the edge but couldn’t finish as the pair went out of bounds. Ayala called for stalling. Ayala takes the lead with a takedown.

Period 3: Ayala starts down and escapes to go up 4-1. Ayala holds on to win, 4-1. He advances to the third-place match tonight.

133 POUNDS: Jacob Van Dee (NEB) over No. 14 Brody Teske (IOWA) via sudden victory 

Down 5-2, Teske scored an escape, takedown, and near fall points to take an 8-6 lead. But after review, refs took off the near fall points, so we’re headed to sudden victory.

Wow…Refs originally gave Teske a takedown near the edge to head to the third-place finals match tonight. But after about a three-minute review, they overturn the call and give the takedown to Van Dee. That also came after Teske had back points taken away at the end of the third period to clinch a win. Brutal loss. Teske heads to the fifth-place match.

141 POUNDS: No. 3 Real Woods (IOWA) over No. 4 Brock Hardy (NEB) via decision 

Period 1: No score

Period 2: Two-point near fall for Woods. Hardy with a two-point reversal and two-point near fall. Woods escapes and trails, 4-3.

Period 3: Woods escapes to tie it. Woods scores a takedown in the final 10 seconds and musters over two minutes of riding time to win, 8-4, and advance to the third-place match.

149 POUNDS: No. 4 Tyler Kasak (PSU) over No. 3 Caleb Rathjen (IOWA) via decision 

Kasak wins, 8-1. Rathjen will go for fifth place tonight.

157 POUNDS: No. 4 Jared Franek (IOWA) over No. 8 Joey Blaze (PUR) via decision 

Period 1: Franek scores a takedown. Blaze escapes.

Period 2: Blaze starts down and escapes to cut his deficit to one.

Period 3: Franek starts down and escapes to go up by two. With riding time, Franek wins, 5-2, to advance to the third-place finals match.

165 POUNDS: No. 3 Michael Caliendo (IOWA) over No. 11 Chris Moore (ILL) via major decision

Period 1: Caliendo with a takedown about a minute in. Moore escapes after 46 seconds. Moore called for stalling. Another takedown for Caliendo.

Period 2: Escape and takedown for Caliendo. Moore escapes. Caliendo leads, 11-2.

Period 3: Caliendo keeps up the pace, winning 18-5 with over two minutes of riding time to advance to the third-place finals match.

174 POUNDS: No. 5 Rocco Welsh (OSU) over No. 3 Patrick Kennedy (IOWA) via sudden victory

Period 1: No score

Period 2: Welsh starts down and escapes in 16 seconds.

Period 3: Kennedy starts down and escapes quickly to tie it at one. We’re headed to sudden victory. Kennedy loses in overtime. He’ll wrestle tonight for fifth place.

HEAVYWEIGHT:

No. 4 Yaraslau Slavikouski (RUT) over No. 7 Bradley Hill (IOWA) via decision

Period 1: No score.

Period 2: Slavikouski escapes and scores a takedown.

Period 3: They start neutral. Hill loses, 5-1. He will wrestle for fifth place.

NINTH-PLACE SEMIFINAL

184 POUNDS: No. 13 Aiden Riggins (IOWA) over Roman Rogotzke (IND) via major decision 

Riggins cruises to a 28-14 victory.

NINTH-PLACE FINALS

184 POUNDS: No. 14 Chase Mielnik (MD) over No. 13 Aiden Riggins (IOWA) via fall

Riggins is pinned in 3:49.