CNN to hold presidential debate in Iowa on Jan. 10 ahead of Iowa caucuses

The Cable News Network announced it will hold the event at Drake University.
Shaely Odean
Media members set up equipment during the 99th County Rally at the Thunderdome in Newton, Iowa on Saturday, Dec. 2, 2023. Republican presidential candidate and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’ 99th stop in Jasper County, Iowa rounds out the “full Grassley.”

CNN will hold a televised presidential debate at Drake University in Des Moines on Jan. 10, less than a week before the Iowa Republican caucuses on Jan. 15.

The event is the first debate in Iowa since 2020 and is not sanctioned by national Republicans.

However, CNN reports that national Republicans are expected to announce requirements that will prevent candidates from participating in non-sanctioned debates.

To participate in CNN’s debate, candidates must have 10 percent in three separate national or Iowa polls that meet CNN’s reporting requirements. One of the three must be an Iowa-based poll approved by CNN.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis confirmed in a social media post on X, formerly known as Twitter, that he would be attending the televised debate.

Former President Donald Trump has been absent from the four GOP-sanctioned debates, and an adviser to his campaign confirmed Trump would not be attending the CNN debate at the New York Times.

The most recent Iowa poll and national averages of other polls reveal that DeSantis, Trump, and former UN Ambassador Nikki Haley have qualified for the debate under CNN’s rules.

Candidates took to the debate stage on Wednesday for the fourth Republican primary debate. The debate moderated by NewsNation hosted presidential hopefuls DeSantis, Haley, Ohio businessman Vivek Ramaswamy, and former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.

Moderators for the debate have yet to be announced.