NCAA DI committee delays vote on sports gambling suspension reinstatement policy

According to Nicole Auerbach from The Athletic, the committee chose to delay its vote “to allow more time for membership feedback on the proposed adjustment.” 
Ayrton Breckenridge
Suspended Iowa football player Noah Shannon stands in a huddle during a football game between Iowa and Michigan State at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 30, 2023. The Hawkeyes defeated the Spartans, 26-16.

The decision on whether Iowa defensive tackle Noah Shannon can play again for the Hawkeyes this season will be delayed two weeks. 

On Wednesday, the NCAA Division I Council Coordination Committee postponed its vote on proposals for changes to current student-athlete reinstatement guidelines related to sports gambling violations until Nov. 8.

The news was first reported by Nicole Auerbach from The Athletic

According to Auerbach, the committee chose to delay its vote “to allow more time for membership feedback on the proposed adjustment.” 

Shannon hasn’t played a snap for Iowa this season after the NCAA suspended him indefinitely for sports gambling on Aug. 23. Iowa appealed the decision but announced on Sept. 12 that the sixth-year’s suspension would be upheld. However, on Oct. 10, Shannon was cleared to practice after the NCAA said it would reexamine its protocols for sports wagering violations for athletes who did not place bets on their own team. 

“The council agreed with commissioners earlier this month that the penalties for wagering violations in limited circumstances should be adjusted, and the respective committees moved quickly to recommend possible changes,” Jon Steinbrecher, chair of the coordination committee and commissioner at the Mid-American Conference, said in a statement, according to The Athletic.

Shannon was at least 21 years old, the legal gambling age in Iowa, when he made his alleged bets. He allegedly did not bet on an Iowa football game but on a Hawkeye basketball game. 

If the NCAA decides to change its policies on Nov. 8, then Shannon would have three regular season games, as well as a bowl game, to don the Black and Gold on the field in his final season as a Hawkeye.