Iowa baseball sweeps Nebraska at Duane Banks Field

The Hawkeyes took down the Cornhuskers in every contest of the three-game series.

Cody Blissett

Iowa’s catcher Cade Moss runs towards home base during a baseball game at Duane Banks Field in Iowa City on Friday, April 21, 2023. Moss had 1 hit and 2 runs. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cornhuskers, 11-6.

Jake Olson, Sports Reporter

The Iowa baseball team swept Nebraska in a three-game series at Duane Banks Field. 

This is the first time the Hawkeyes have swept a Big Ten opponent this season.

Friday 

Iowa defeated Nebraska, 11-6, in game one of the series.

Six different Hawkeyes contributed to a total of nine hits on the evening, including four from sophomore Keaton Anthony. 

“They came out and fought hard. I thought our at-bats were really good most of the night,” Iowa head coach Rick Heller said in a release on Friday. 

Sophomore Jack Whitlock earned his fourth victory of the season, going 2 ⅓ innings in relief 

Whitlock entered the game for sophomore Brody Brecht in the fifth inning with the bases loaded and nobody out. The Hutchinson Community College transfer escaped the inning with only two runs from the Huskers, keeping the Hawkeyes ahead, 6-4. 

“The turning point for me in that game was when Jack Whitlock came in,” Heller said in a release. “Tough situation and minimized the damage and gave us two innings of scoreless work. That was big and at that point in the game it could have gone either way.”

Saturday 

Iowa shut out the Huskers, 8-0, in game two of the series.

Sophomore Marcus Morgan threw six scoreless innings for the Hawkeyes, striking out five while only allowing three hits. The Iowa City, Iowa, native moved to 2-1 on the season for the Hawkeyes. 

“I thought we came out and played really well,” Heller said in a release on Saturday. “It started with a great start by Marcus Morgan. Marcus was outstanding today; he was in total control of himself and the game. Really limited the free bases.”

This was the first time this season the Hawkeye pitching staff has shut out an opponent. 

Sunday

Iowa completed the sweep of Nebraska with a 6-1 victory in game three.

Junior Ty Langenberg went seven innings for the Hawkeyes, giving up one run on three hits and nine strikeouts. 

“I was really proud of Ty,” Heller said. “He went out and pitched a great game. He was hitting with all four pitches for the first time in a long time. We could tell he had his good stuff, and he settled in and did exactly what we needed a veteran like him to do on Sunday.”

Junior Cade Moss led off the scoring in the first inning after belting a two-RBI triple. Ben Wilmes then hit a sacrifice fly to bring in Moss from third base, giving the Hawkeyes a early 3-1 lead. The Hawkeyes ballooned the lead up to five after another three-run inning in the fifth. 

Up Next

Iowa remains home for a midweek competition against Upper Iowa University on Tuesday at 4 p.m.