Live results | Six Iowa men’s wrestlers compete in Session IV of 2023 NCAA Championships

The Hawkeyes’ 125-pound Spencer Lee, 141-pound Real Woods, and heavyweight Tony Cassioppi will compete in the NCAA Tournament semifinals starting at 7 p.m.

Ayrton Breckenridge

No. 1 seeded 141-pound Iowa’s Real Woods wrestles No. 8 seeded 141-pound Mizzou’s Allan Hart during session three of the NCAA Wrestling Championships at BOK Center in Tulsa, Okla. on Friday, March 17, 2023. Woods defeated Hart by major decision, 9-0.

Kenna Roering, Sports Reporter

TULSA— Six Iowa men’s wrestlers will compete in Session IV of the 2023 NCAA Championships on Friday beginning at 7 p.m. The Hawkeyes are in second in the team race with 48 points, trailing the Penn State Nittany Lions 78. Semifinal matches will be televised live on ESPN while consolation bouts will be on ESPN+.

Three Iowa grapplers advanced to Friday night’s semifinals — 125-pound Spencer Lee, 141-pound Real Woods, and heavyweight Tony Cassioppi. Hawkeye 149-pound Max Murin, 174-pound Nelson Brands, and 197-pound Jacob Warner will compete for a berth to the consolation quarterfinals later tonight.

RELATED: Iowa men’s wrestling notebook | Session III recap, Session IV preview  

Follow the live blog below for updates throughout the evening:

Semifinals

125 POUNDS:  No. 4 Matt Ramos (PUR) over No. 1 Spencer Lee (IA) via fall

Period 1: Lee called for stalling as they go out of bounds. Ramos gets a takedown and two-point near fall. Lee escapes. Stalling on Ramos. Lee is down, 4-1.

Period 2: Lee on top. Lee takes the lead with a four-point near fall. Lee rides him the rest of the period. He has 1:35 of riding time.

Period 3: Ramos nearly gets back points. Crowd wants Lee called for stalling. Lee gets pinned with one second left.

141 POUNDS: No. 1 Real Woods (IA) over  No. 4 Brock Hardy (NEB) via major decision 

Period 1: Woods comes out strong in the first with a takedown and four-point near fall. He leads, 6-1.

Period 2: Scoreless. Woods has 2:26 of riding time.

Period 3: Woods scores another four-point near fall to clinch the match, 11-1, with riding time. Woods will compete for his first  NCAA title tomorrow night.

285 POUNDS:  No. 1 Mason Parris (MICH) over No. 4 Tony Cassioppi (IA) via tech fall

Period 1: Cassioppi gets taken down in first 10 seconds. Parris turns him for two four-point near fall. Cassioppi down, 10-0

Period 2: Parris starts down and escapes. Parris called for stalling. Parris with another takedown. Cassioppi called for stalling on bottom. Parris scores another takedown and claims a 16-1 victory to move on to the finals.

Consolations

149 POUNDS: No. 9 Max Murin (IA) over No. 22 Chance Lamer (MICH) via decision 

Period 1: Murin gets a takedown as time expires.

Period 2: Lamer escapes for only score of the period.

Period 3: Murin escapes. Michigan throws the brick to challenge a takedown for Lamer in the final seconds that wasn’t called and it was unsuccessful. Murin wins, 3-2, to advance to tonight’s consolation quarterfinals. Murin clinched All-American status with the victory.

174 POUNDS: No. 11 Nelson Brands (IA) over No. 9 Edmond Ruth (ILL) via decision

Period 1: Brands starts the scoring with a takedown on the edge and rides Ruth out the remainder of the period.

Period 2: Brands starts down and escapes.

Period 3: Ruth starts down and escapes. Brands holds on for a 4-1 victory with 1:26 of riding time to claim all-American status and advance to the consolation quarterfinals tonight.

197 POUNDS: No. 14 Jacob Warner (IA) over No. 8 Silas Allred (NEB) via decision 

period 1: Scoreless after three minutes.

Period 2: Warner starts down and escapes to get on the board. They scramble but no other score.

Period 3: They start neutral. Warner called for stalling. Warner holds on to win, 1-0, and clinches All-American status. He will wrestle in the consolation quarterfinals tonight.

CONSOLATION QUARTERFINALS

149 POUNDS: Max Murin (IA) over Michael Blockhus (MINN) via OT decision 

Period 1: Scoreless after one.

Period 2. Blockhus starts down and escapes for only score of the period.

Period 3: Murin starts down and escapes in the first 15 seconds. Tied 1-1 as we head to sudden victory. Murin called for stalling.

OT: Murin gets the takedown with 28 seconds left in sudden victory to earn All-American status and move on to the consolation semifinals.

174 POUNDS: Nelson Brands (IA) over Peyton Mocco (MIZZ) via decision 

Period 1: Brands gets in the board with a takedown.

Period 2: Brands starts down and gets a reversal to extend his lead to 4-0 and rides Mocco out the rest of the period.

Period 3: Mocco starts down and escapes within 30 seconds. Brands holds him off for a 4-1 victory. Brands claims All-American status and will wrestle in tomorrow’s consolation semifinals.

197 POUNDS: Jacob Warner (IA) over Jacob Cardenas (COR) via decision 

Period 1: Warner strikes first with a takedown. Cardenas escapes.

Period 2: Cardenas starts down.l and escapes with about a minute left to tie it. 2-2 going into the final two minutes.

Period 3: Warner starts down and escapes in 11 seconds. Warner fights him off for the rest of the period and wins, 4-2, with 1:59 of riding time.

Warner claims All-American status and can finish as high as third tomorrow.

Iowa trails first-place Penn State, 116.5-77, after Session IV. 

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.