Live updates | Iowa football takes on No. 2 Ohio State in Columbus

The Hawkeyes and Buckeyes will face off at 11 a.m. on FOX

Iowa+head+coach+Kirk+Ferentz+gets+off+the+team+bus+before+a+football+game+between+Iowa+and+No.+2+Ohio+State+at+Ohio+Stadium+in+Columbus%2C+Ohio%2C+on+Saturday%2C+Oct.+22%2C+2022.++

Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz gets off the team bus before a football game between Iowa and No. 2 Ohio State at Ohio Stadium in Columbus, Ohio, on Saturday, Oct. 22, 2022.

Chloe Peterson, Sports Editor

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Iowa football plays Ohio State on Saturday at 11:05 a.m.  for the first time since 2017. This is the Hawkeyes’ first trip to Ohio Stadium in Columbus since 2013.

Going into the game, Iowa is a 29.5-point underdog against Ohio State.

Hawkeye wide receiver Diante Vines is going through warmups. He’s missed the first six games of the season after breaking his wrist in fall camp. Defensive tackle Yahya Black is also set to return after he sustained an injury in Week 1 of the Hawkeyes’ season. Cornerback Terry Roberts, however, is out after he reaggravated a lower leg injury against Illinois.

Ohio State All-American WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba is also slated to return after missing four of the Buckeyes’s last five games because of an injury.

COIN TOSS: Iowa won the toss and elected to receive. The Hawkeyes will defend the south goal.

Spencer Petras is intercepted on the first play of the game. Ohio State has the ball at the Iowa 29-yard line.

14:07 1Q: Ohio State QB C.J. Stroud was nearly picked off twice in the Buckeyes’ first drive, and Ohio State kicks a field goal from 46 yards. Ohio State 3, Iowa 0.

13:14 1Q: Iowa goes 3-and-out after starting its drive on the 25-yard line. Tory Taylor punts the ball to the opposite 24-yard line.

13:00 1Q: CJ Stroud fumbles the ball and Joe Evans returns the fumble for a touchdown. Iowa leads, 7-3.

8:15 1Q: Ohio State running back Miyan Williams runs 2 yards for a Buckeye touchdown. Ohio State 10, Iowa 7.

6:40 1Q: Petras is strip sacked on 3rd down, and Ohio State recovers the fumble to take over at Iowa’s 27-yard line.

4:30 1Q: Ohio State gets another field goal on a four-play, 4-yard drive. Buckeyes lead, 13-7.

2:53 1Q: Iowa had three straight run plays on its way to a 3-and-out. Punter Tory Taylor attempted to rush the ball on fourth down, and Iowa turns the ball over on downs. Ohio State takes over at the 34-yard line.

End 1: Ohio State kicks yet another field goal as time expires. Buckeyes lead, 16-7. Iowa is averaging 1.1 yards per offensive play.
13:21 2Q: Iowa gets its first two first downs on its first drive of the second quarter — one thanks to a defensive pass interference call.
10:35 2Q: Petras completes a pass on 3rd and nine to Sam LaPorta, which is for a one-yard loss. Drew Stevens kicks a 49-yard field goal. Ohio State 16, Iowa 10.
8:18 2Q: Ohio State punts 51 yards to Iowa’s 2-yard line, where the Hawkeyes will start their drive.
6:51 2Q: Iowa gains just one yard on the drive, and Tory Taylor is punting from Iowa’s end zone. The ball goes out to the 50, and it is returned to the 30-yard line.
3:42 2Q: Ohio State kicks its fourth field goal of the game to go up 19-10.
3:25 2Q: The first play of Iowa’s drive results in a Petras interception that’s returned for an Ohio State touchdown. Buckeyes lead, 26-10.
0:47 2Q: Tory Taylor punts from Iowa’s 49-yard line. Ohio State will start at its own 22-yard line.
HALF: Ohio State 26, Iowa 10. The Hawkeyes have three turnovers and are averaging 2.2 yards per play.
14:52 3Q: Jack Campbell intercepts C.J. Stroud on the first play of the second half. Iowa will have the ball at Ohio State’s 44-yard line. Padilla is in the game for Iowa out of the half. Iowa fumbles the ball and the Hawkeye defense is back on the field.
12:32 2Q: Ohio State punts the ball to Iowa’s 6-yard line. Padilla is back out on the field for the Hawkeyes’ second drive of the half.
11:44 2Q: Padilla is intercepted on the 15-yard line after he was hurried by the Buckeye defense.
6:37 2Q: Iowa turns the ball over on downs at the Ohio State 45-yard line. Padilla made multiple scrambles out of the pocket, avoiding sacks.
2:47 3Q: Running back Kaleb Johnson runs 18 yards for nearly a first down. Johnson fumbled the ball, but it went out of bounds. On fourth and one, Iowa gets the first down on a QB sneak with Padilla.
End 3: Ohio State 40, Iowa 10. The Hawkeyes will have fourth and 2 at the start of the fourth quarter.
Iowa punts on the first play of the fourth quarter, and Ohio State will start its drive on its won 10-yard line.
13:26 4Q: Ohio State scores a touchdown on a 79-yard toss to Julian Fleming. 47 points is the most the Iowa defense has given up since it allowed 45 to Stanford in the Rose Bowl in 2016.
11:27 4Q: Iowa turns the ball over on downs after Padilla overthrows Arland Bruce. Ohio State will take over on Iowa’s 40-yard line.
7:59 4Q: Touchdown, Ohio State. The Buckeyes lead, 54-10. 54 points is the most Iowa’s defense has given up since it allowed 51 to Minnesota 2014.
FINAL: Iowa loses, 54-10, to drop to 3-4 on the season. Kirk Ferentz’s last loss over 40 points was in his first Big Ten game in 1999.