Gilded Glamour meets 21st-century NYC: Met Gala looks to love and hate

On Monday, the Metropolitan Museum of Art held its annual Met Gala, the most fashionable red carpet event of the year. This year’s theme was “In America: An Anthology of Fashion,” which gave gilded-age-inspired looks. Some celebrities delivered, while some did not.

The+Metropolitan+Museum+of+Art+lights+up+the+New+York+City+night.+

Getty Images

The Metropolitan Museum of Art lights up the New York City night.

This year’s Met Gala brought gold, glam, and glitter. The 2022 Met Gala theme was “In America: An Anthology of Fashion,” which brought gilded-age-inspired looks to the red carpet. Here are our picks for the best and worst looks of the night that is considered the epitome of fashion.

Hit: Blake Lively 

As a co-chair of the event, it’s only natural that Lively’s look swept the floor. Her tenth Met Gala appearance was a transformative piece representative of the Statue of Liberty. It started as a copper gown with a mosaic bodice wrapped in a rose gold bow and a crystal metallic leather, as reported by E! News, to represent the Empire State building. After a generous strut down the carpet, the bow was untied to reveal a long train matching the rustic, oxidized green of Lady Liberty. The Atelier Versace gown paired with a Statue of Liberty crown and long gloves — both tiaras and opera gloves were common accessories throughout the night.

Miss: Bradley Cooper 

Cooper wore a plain black suit with a white dress shirt. Though there’s nothing explicitly wrong with Cooper’s look, nothing about it was gilded — or glam, for that matter. For arguably the most fashionably expressive event of the year, the typical black-tie look just doesn’t cut it.

Hit: Alicia Keys

Keys brought her “empire state of mind” to the carpet with her Ralph Lauren asymmetrical black cape embellished with the New York City skyline on the train. Beneath she wore a form-fitted strapless silver gown. Her hair was pulled black with several disk-like hairpieces trailing down her braid. The skyscrapers on Keys’ cape represented the start of a new age in American history while also paying homage to her own NYC roots.

Related: Style and sustainability meet for Earth Day fashion show 

Miss: Mindy Kaling

Kaling wore a lavender gown with a deep V neckline and a slit on the thigh. Multi-shaded flowers placed on the shoulders led into long, thin trains trailing to the floor. Kaling’s look didn’t completely match the theme — and gave more prom than Met Gala.

Hit: Sabrina Carpenter

Carpenter made her Met Gala debut glowing in gold and silver. Her two-piece sequined dress, designed by Julien Dossena at Paco Rabanne, executed the theme perfectly as her large skirt waterfalled down the steps of the Met.

Biggest Shock: Jared Leto and friends?

A man entered the floor wearing a gray ensemble with long needle-like spikes resembling a deep-sea creature, complete with elaborate makeup and silver-dyed hair. Reporters from several news sources spent time discussing Leto’s look – except it wasn’t Leto – it was Fredrik Robertsson, whose outfit was designed by Iris Van Herpen. The actual Leto later appeared in an off-white and sparkly-detailed suit with a red bow tie, black leather gloves, and black sunglasses. Just as unexpectedly, his Gucci designer, Alessandro Michele, walked alongside him in an identical outfit – this surprise, a planned one.

Most Conflicting Look: Sebastian Stan

Stan stole the Met Gala spotlight with his completely neon pink Valentino outfit. Did it fit the theme? Not in the slightest. Does it still kind of work? We think it does — plus, who doesn’t love a monochromatic puffy coat look? We give Stan a very confused five stars.