Student Spotlight: UI freshman is a three-time self-published author

Nora Walls grew up as the daughter of two U.S. Army officers. In her time moving around the world, she fell in love with reading and writing.

Contributed.+

Contributed.

Olivia Augustine, Arts Reporter

Never did Nora Walls, a University of Iowa first-year, expect that the her casual writing on the notes app of her iPad would turn into three self-published novels. 

Walls is one of many UI students drawn to the university because of its creative-writing program and the renowned Iowa Writers’ Workshop.

Her most recent novel, Orbury, was published just before she moved to college. Her previous novels, The Dominion and Time Never Stops: Musings of the Last Man, were published when Walls was just 12 and 14, respectively.

Walls is fascinated by the science-fiction genre, especially dystopian realities, she said. Her love for the genre stems from her dad, who she said also enjoys dystopian stories, including the works of George Orwell and Ray Bradbury. 

However, Walls credits both her parents for getting her into reading at an early age. Her parents have been very supportive of her writing career so far, Walls said.

Walls’ parents were both U.S. Army officers, so she spent much of her adolescence moving around, and she began learning to write while attending a British international school in the Middle East for five years. She immediately fell in love with it.

“It’s very relaxing to me, and I just think it’s fascinating because you can make anything into anything, really,” Walls said. “I just think it’s a really good way to express yourself and your ideas and just kind of make somebody else’s ideas your own — put your own spins on things.”

When Walls started her first novel at age 12, she didn’t know where it would go, let alone how far it would go.

RELATED: Ask the Author: Julie Hanson

The Dominion began as one of many stories buried in the notes app of Walls’ iPad. She said the idea of it becoming a published novel never even crossed her mind.

“I just thought I’d try it, but I didn’t think I’d finish it because I had never finished anything,” Walls said. “I just kind of kept rewriting different sections of it, just kind of going through with it.”

Once Walls finished the piece, she showed it to her parents, who had the idea to follow the self-publishing process.

With her newest novel, Walls hopes to move to a less adolescent audience, in contrast to her other two novels, which both fell into the young adult genre. Walls said her books were in the young adult category because she was a young adult herself, but now her writing will grow with her.

Orbury is told from two different perspectives. One character’s story is told in reverse, so it converges in time with the other at the middle. 

One of the main characters, Liam, is based on the character of Alfred from Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys. Walls said she did this because she wanted to write from a criminal perspective, which she had never done before.

As a college student, Walls hopes to have more time to write, and advance the level of her writing.

“I’d really like to start writing more regularly and just kind of learn to improve within my genre, and other styles too,” Walls said. “I would just like to be able to sustain myself with writing somehow, eventually.” 

• Evolutionary biologists to celebrate Iowa City Darwin Day

Arts

Evolutionary biologists to celebrate Iowa City Darwin Day

• Jan 26, 2020; Los Angeles, CA, USA; Ezra Koenig accepts the award for Best Alternative Music Album accepts on behalf of Vampire Weekend for Father Of The Bride during the 62nd annual GRAMMY Awards Premiere Ceremony on Jan. 26, 2020 at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles, Calif.

Arts

Review | Vampire Weekend’s ‘Only God Was Above Us’ is sure to get stuck in your head

• Here are some trends to be on the lookout for in Spring 2024

Arts

Here are some trends to be on the lookout for in Spring 2024

• A reception was held before an Out of the Archives screening of Oscar Micheaux’s ‘Body and Soul’ with live score performed by the Alvin Cobb Jr. Trio at Filmscene in Iowa City on Monday, April 8, 2024.

Arts

One year later, Out of the Archive film series is still running

• Mar 12, 2023; Los Angeles, CA, USA; Bill Nighy takes selfies with fans as he arrives at the 95th Academy Awards at the Dolby Theatre at Ovation Hollywood in Los Angeles on Sunday, March 12, 2023. Mandatory Credit: Robert Hanashiro-USA TODAY

Arts

Review | ‘The First Omen’ is a solid horror reboot

• Machine Gun Kelly jumps into the pit at the Austin City Limits Music Festival in Zilker Park on Friday October 1, 2021.

Arts

Review | Machine Gun Kelly and Trippie Redd’s album ‘genre : sadboy’ may be the worst release of 2024

• ‘Blist Her’ performs during the KRUI 40 Mission Creek event in the Iowa Memorial Union Hawkeye Room in Iowa City on Saturday, April 6, 2024.

Arts

KRUI at 40: Where are they now?

• Doctors in Concert at the Coralville Center for the Preforming Arts on April, 5th, 2024. Isaac Samuel and Joel Berger preforming. (Emma Gutzman/The Daily Iowan)

Arts

‘Doctors in Concert’ celebrates medicine, music for UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital

• The Artifactory is seen in Iowa City on Thursday, Dec. 7, 2023.

Arts

PO/ART/RY exhibit introduces new mashup of visual, textual art

• Small presses work a stand at SpareMe bowling alley in the Chauncey during a book fair for the Mission Creek festival on Saturday, April 6, 2024.

Arts

Mission Creek book fair continues to provide literary opportunities