Binge Break: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel continues to sparkle

The third season of the Emmy-winning hit The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel continues to grow in scope, right along with its strong female lead.

Kayli Reese, Managing News Editor

Sometimes, you just need a show that feels akin to wrapping yourself up in a blanket with a mug of hot chocolate in your hand, safe and warm from everything going on outside.

That’s exactly how watching Amazon’s The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel — which just dropped its third season Dec. 6 — feels. While it’s a show covered in optimism and a rosy outlook on life, having a show like this is a necessity to counteract the stresses of daily life — not to mention the fact that Maisel is a brilliant comedy.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel comes from the brain of the brilliant Amy Sherman-Palladino, who also created Gilmore Girls, one of my favorite shows of all time (season three of Gilmore Girls is one of the best seasons of television ever, and you can fight me on that). The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel feels like the older sister of Gilmore Girls, with all of the fast humor and spirit of a Sherman-Palladino script with an aged wisdom that makes The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel something special.

The show follows Midge Maisel (Rachel Brosnahan) as she finds her voice as a comic after her husband, Joel (Michael Zegen), leaves her for his secretary, leading Midge to leave the role of dutiful housewife. Midge teams up with a bar owner-turned-Midge’s-manager, Susie (Alex Borstein), and the two try to navigate the comic scene in late 50s New York.

Season three finds Midge and Susie on the road opening for famous musician Shy Baldwin (Leroy McClain, who has the voice of an angel). Out for the first time without the backdrop of New York’s skyscrapers or the lake scene of the Catskills, Midge has to find her footing as a national comic, placing her outside of her comfort zone once more.

Related: Binge Break: Michelle Williams makes Fosse/Verdon something special

While the entire plot of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel kicked off with Midge and Joel, it’s the bond between Midge and Susie that makes the show something special. The comedic timing of Brosnahan and Borstein is brilliant, earning the both of them Emmys in past years, but it’s their chemistry on screen that elevates their performances.

While Susie comes from a poor background, often loud and swearing like a truck driver, Midge comes from an upper class family and likes fantastic hats and all things pink. But the two cannot work without one another. They give each other balance and perspective in life, a constant source of support. It’s the best relationship on television right now.

Sherman-Palladino’s genius has always shone through the best on The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel during Midge’s sets as a comic, and season three is no exception to this idea. Known for thick scripts with quick dialogue, Sherman-Palladino, who writes the show with her husband Dan Palladino, lets Midge shine on stage in full glory

Midge’s sets are often vulgar and have gotten her arrested more than once throughout the series. However, she’s making points on life and femininity that hold just as true today as they did in the 50s. In season three, there’s a set promoting birth control and a bit about how Midge — and all women — should be allowed the ability to love lipstick and hold political opinions. In a black dress and a smear of lipstick, there’s nothing Midge cannot do, vouch for, and find the humor in.

Even if she bombs, Midge does so with grace. And when Midge is good, she’s the absolute pinnacle.