Iowa men’s hoops topples North Florida

After taking a 39-35 lead into halftime, the Hawkeyes exploded in the second half for a dominant win over North Florida.

Center+Luka+Garza+attempts+a+basket+during+the+Iowa+Mens+basketball+game+vs+University+of+North+Florida+in+Carver-Hawkeye+Arena+on+Thursday+Nov.+21%2C+2019.+The+Hawkeyes+defeated+the+Osprey+83-68.+

Katie Goodale

Center Luka Garza attempts a basket during the Iowa Men’s basketball game vs University of North Florida in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Thursday Nov. 21, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Osprey 83-68.

Pete Ruden, Pregame Editor

Iowa once again tumbled to a slow start against North Florida on Thursday, going into halftime with a mere 39-35 advantage.

The Hawkeyes expanded on that after a hot start to the second half, though, eventually leaving Carver-Hawkeye with an 83-68 victory over the Ospreys.

Fresh out of halftime — when Iowa led 39-35 — Joe Wieskamp slammed home an alley-oop, and C.J. Fredrick drained a layup and a 3-pointer. Shortly after, Garza hit another 3 to extend Iowa’s lead to double digits.

North Florida held a lead one-point lead with 1:57 remaining in the first half, but after Garza’s 3, Iowa never let the Ospreys get back to within single digits.

Garza paced the Hawkeyes with 29 points on 12-of-18 shooting and 12 rebounds. After missing his first five shots of the game, he made his next seven to help Iowa to its halftime lead. His 3 to propel Iowa to a double-digit lead was his eighth-consecutive made field goal.

Wieskamp also bounced back in a big way for Iowa. After averaging 10.3 points per game through the Hawkeyes’ first three games, the Muscatine native dropped 14 against the Ospreys.

Joe Toussaint also contributed to the win on both ends of the floor, including an impressive and-1 that energized the Hawkeyes midway through the first half. The freshman finished with 10 points, three rebounds, and four assists.

Iowa will hit the floor next when it takes on Cal Poly at Carver-Hawkeye on Nov. 24.