Competency hearing delayed for woman accused of shooting Iowa City officer with BB gun

Roman Slabach

Iowa City police respond to the scene where an officer-involved shooting reportedly occurred near 11 Highway West on July 29, 2019.

Rachel Steil, News Reporter

The competency hearing for the court-ordered mental evaluation of Cierra Lewis, 25, was canceled Wednesday and rescheduled for 1:30 p.m. Dec. 16.

Sixth District Judge Chad Kepros previously ordered a mental evaluation for Lewis. The hearing was set to determine whether or not Lewis was fit to stand trial.

The mental evaluation was ordered after Lewis’ attorney Quint Meyerdirk requested that her mental state be evaluated.

On July 29, authorities said, Lewis shot Iowa City Police Officer Michael Clark with a BB gun multiple times while responding to a report of shoplifting at 11 Highway 1 West. Clark returned fire, hitting Lewis. The two were both briefly hospitalized.

Lewis is facing charges of assault on persons engaged in certain occupations with intent to cause injury and willful injury causing serious injury. They are Class-D and Class-C felonies, respectively.