Iowa basketball player Cordell Pemsl accused of drunk driving

Iowa+forward+Cordell+Pemsl+drives+to+the+hoop+during+the+Iowa%2FGuilford+College+basketball+game+at+Carver-Hawkeye+Arena+on+Sunday%2C+Nov.+4%2C+2018.+The+Hawkeyes+defeated+the+Quakers%2C+103-46.+

Iowa forward Cordell Pemsl drives to the hoop during the Iowa/Guilford College basketball game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Sunday, Nov. 4, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Quakers, 103-46.

Lily Smith

Lily Smith

Lily Smith

Kayli Reese, Managing News Editor

An Iowa basketball player has been accused of drunk driving early on Sept. 20.

Cordell Pemsl, 22, 2401 Highway 6 E., was charged Sept. 20 with first-offense OWI.

According to the arrest affidavit, an officer stopped a Ford Escape after the driver failed to obey a traffic-control device and improperly turned left. The vehicle was also stopped for a cracked tail light.

The affidavit describes Pemsl as having “bloodshot, watery eyes, impaired speech, impaired balance, was wearing bar wristbands, and admitted to drinking.”

Pemsl reportedly failed a breath test, the affidavit said, and he had a .151 percent breath-alcohol concentration.

First-offense OWI is a serious misdemeanor.

Pemsl will be suspended from all basketball-related activities indefinitely and is subject to the rules and regulations of the University of Iowa Student-Athlete Code of Conduct and rules of the basketball program.

Pemsl only played in two games last season, taking a redshirt year after undergoing surgery to remove hardware around his knee from a previous surgery.

The Dubuque native has averaged 7.2 points and 4.7 rebounds in 67 career games.

Facebook Comments