After sexual-abuse allegations, former Iowa Hillel Foundation director no longer a Hillel employee

Kayli Reese, Managing News Editor

UPDATE 5:10 p.m.: Jeneane Beck, University of Iowa assistant vice president from external relations, said in a UI statement emailed to the Daily Iowan that Iowa Hillel isn’t a part of the UI and its staff are not UI employees. However, the statement said, the organization works closely with UI students and Jewish student organizations. The executive director of Iowa Hillel also meets annually with UI administrators as part of the Campus Ministries group.

“Although the case does not involve university students or staff, we will provide support for any member  of our campus community who may wish to speak with someone,” the statement said.

UPDATE 1:01 p.m.: Matthew Berger, vice president of communications for Hillel International, said that David Weltman is no longer an employee of Iowa Hillel after he was accused of sexual abuse in an email to The Daily Iowan. The organization is fully cooperating with police investigation into the matter, he said.

Immediately after Hillel International and Iowa Hillel heard about the allegations against Weltman, Berger said, Weltman was placed on administrative leave.

“It pains us greatly to hear of these allegations, as the safety of our students and community members is Hillel’s top priority,” Berger said in his email. “Hillel is here to support the Jewish community at the University of Iowa during this difficult time, and we urge any student who needs support to reach out to us or directly to University Counseling Services.”

ORIGINAL STORY: Former director of the  Iowa Hillel Foundation David Weltman is accused of sexually abusing a 9-year-old boy during his Hebrew lessons.

Weltman, 29, of Skokie, Illinois, is charged with second-degree sexual abuse. According to the criminal complaint, the abuse occurred sometime between February and March.

The complaint said the victim reported to police that Weltman picked him up and carried him to another room during one of his Hebrew lessons at Hillel House in Iowa City. Weltman proceeded to put his hands down the victim’s underwear, the complaint said, and touched the victim’s “private part.”

Officers also interviewed a former acquaintance of Weltman, the complaint said, and the acquaintance said Weltman admitted to being sexually attracted to boys ages 7 to 12. Weltman told the former acquaintance that he had not acted on his sexual desires, the complaint said, but Weltman did admit to watching foreign films featuring nude children and masturbating to them.

The victim’s family has requested a no-contact order against Weltman, the complaint said.

Second-degree sexual abuse is a Class-B felony.