John Hickenlooper pulls 2020 presidential bid, hints at U.S. Senate bid

Former Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper announced that he will end his campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination, saying Coloradans want him to run for U.S. Senate.

Former Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper speaks at the Des Moines Register Political Soapbox during the Iowa State Fair in Des Moines, IA on Saturday, August 10, 2019 — less than a week before he ended his bid for the White House.

Julia Shanahan, Assistant Politics Editor

Former Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper announced on Thursday that he will no longer be seeking the Democratic nomination for president in a video posted to Twitter.

Hickenlooper said on Twitter that his campaign didn’t have the outcome he was hoping for.

“I ran for president because this country is being ripped apart by politics while our biggest problems go unsolved, and today I’m ending my campaign for president – but I won’t ever stop believing that America can only move forward when you work together,” Hickenlooper said in the video.

He also said that there are many Coloradans who want him to run for the U.S. Senate, but did not confirm if he was going to launch a campaign.

“[Coloradans] remind me what’s at stake for our country, and our state,” he said in the video. “I intend to give that some serious thought.”

Hickenlooper often touted his background as a geologist and mayor, saying that he helped to achieve widespread health-care coverage and gun control as Colorado’s governor.

In a July Fox News poll, Hickenlooper was polling at 2 percent. Real Clear Politics calculated his average polling to be at 0.5 percent.