Official Hawkeye football Twitter account suspended

Tweets from the account for the Iowa football and women’s gymnastics teams are no longer visible.

Nick Rohlman

A Hawkeye spirit squad member waves an “I” flag after a touchdown during Iowa’s game against Nebraska at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City on Friday, November 23, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Huskers, 31-28.

Marissa Payne, Editor-in-Chief

You won’t hear a tweet from two Iowa sports teams for the time being — at least not via their Twitter accounts.

The verified Hawkeye football Twitter account has been suspended as of Friday.

It is not clear why the account, which has around 225,900 followers, has been suspended. The women’s gymnastics account has also been suspended.

The Iowa State Cyclone football account is suspended as well.

Tweets from the accounts are no longer visible.

Viewing from a desktop, a message appears when attempting to view the @HawkeyeFootball account stating, “This account has been suspended. Learn more about why Twitter suspends accounts, or return to your timeline.” On a mobile view, the page says, “Account suspended. Twitter suspends accounts that violate the Twitter Rules.”

Mobile screenshot of the suspended Hawkeye Football Twitter account. (Image from Twitter)

Iowa Athletics Communications Director Steve Roe said in an email the Iowa accounts have been suspended “due to music copyright infringement in a limited number of posts in 2018.”

“We are in the process of working with Twitter to resolve the issues and to ensure future posts are in compliance, and as a result one of the accounts has been reactivated,” he said. “We appreciate everyone’s patience and support of the UI Athletics Department social media accounts.”