Dave Loebsack announces he will not seek re-election to Congress in 2020

The Democratic congressman representing the district that includes Iowa City will retire from Congress after his seventh term ends.

Rep. Dave Loebsack, D-Iowa, speaks during the Johnson County Democratic Party Fall Barbecue at the Johnson County Fairgrounds on Sunday, Oct. 14, 2018.

Nick Rohlman

Nick Rohlman

Nick Rohlman

Marissa Payne, Managing Editor

Iowa Democratic Rep. Dave Loebsack announced Friday he will not seek re-election to Congress in 2020.

Loebsack, who currently sits on the House Energy and Commerce Committee, was first elected in 2006, bringing his years of service in Congress to 14 years by the end of his seventh term in Congress.

He said in a statement he has enjoyed serving the constituents of Iowa’s 2nd District over the years.

“… Having grown up in poverty, I never would have imagined having the honor of serving as the voice of Iowans in the U.S. House of Representatives,” he said. “To best achieve that, I made it a point to meet with folks where they live, work and play in order to focus on improving their lives. I have worked hard to ensure ALL Iowans have had their voice heard.”

Loebsack said he had only planned to serve 12 years at the most when he was first elected, but that the election of President Trump made it apparent he “needed to run for at least one more term in the hopes that I could provide a check on his worst impulses.”

“Currently, there are nearly two years remaining in this term and I look forward to playing an important role in the new House majority, not only to prevent further damage done by President Trump, but to also help set the stage for a new Democratic president to be inaugurated in January of 2021,” he said.

In his final months of service, Loebsack said he will continue to focus on growing the middle class, ensuring access to affordable health care, providing more opportunities to earn a quality education, and expanding broadband access.

“In the remainder of my service, I will continue to serve the people of Iowa with the same energy and commitment that I have devoted to this job from the beginning,” he said.

Marissa Payne, Managing Editor

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @marissa42_

Marissa Payne is the Managing Editor of The Daily Iowan. She started working at the DI her...

• Dave Loebsack announces he will not seek re-election to Congress in 2020

UI takes step to partner with firm to maintain utility system

UI backtracks on paying Modern Piping, seeks documentation for work on Children’s Hospital

The legacy of UI alum George Stout, the father of art conservation

UI pays nearly $4 million to keep Modern Piping off pharmacy-building construction

2020 Iowa Caucuses

Race for young supporters is on ahead of 2020 presidential caucuses

Wilson named new University of Iowa associate VP for diversity, equity, and inclusion

How Midwest flooding became a political wedge

UISG honors first-generation college students at ‘I’m the First’ event

Homestead for the Walkers, a home for Iowa City

An inside look into the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics’ AirCare team