UI student Lily DeTaeye to play with Fawn and Flame this weekend

Minneapolis indie duo Fawn and Flame will play Trumpet Blossom on Friday night with UI senior Lily DeTaeye.

Isabel Zuppa, Arts Reporter

For most college students, balancing school, work, clubs, and friends can be a challenge. For one University of Iowa student, living a double life as a musician proves to be the ultimate task.

“It is really hard and only getting harder. This is my last semester, and I have all of these senior classes that are piling on,” Lily DeTaeye said. “But I think it would be like this anyway. Like, for people going into jobs afterwards. They are already doing a double life thing. And mine is just a little different in the way that I just am on a stage.”

DeTaeye will perform alongside Fawn and Flame on April 12 at Trumpet Blossom Café. The show will begin at 9 p.m.

DeTaeye has long been musically inclined. With the help of her family, she became professional at a young age. Her father understood the meaning of making a career in music.

“He helped me lay the groundwork for starting my own business. I was playing farmers’ markets and weddings,” DeTaeye said. “I’m working with a nonprofit record label, Station 1 Records, in Des Moines now, and they have provided me with a band. We were recording in Austin, and so it all kind of just stair-stepped its way up.”

DeTaeye , who has a new album due out in the fall, said she is excited to grow with her music, pulling inspiration from such artists as Brandi Carlile and the Black Keys.

“It’s different from anything else we’ve ever released.” DeTaeye said. “The stuff I’ve put out before was much more in the pop world. I think it was very true to how I was writing at the time, but since I have gotten older and come into my own, it has really transitioned into stuff I identify with a lot more.”

It is hard to describe a sound or label it in one genre. DeTaeye captured the feeling of her music perfectly while describing her own sound.

“At heart, I’m one of the sandlot kids who picked up a guitar instead of a baseball. It’s super rustic and kind of homegrown, but also like grungy and dirty,” she said. “It’s so hard to say I’m a blues musician or I’m a folk musician, because I’m not. It’s rare that an artist stays in one of those genres.”

With Fawn and Flame, it will be a night of raw artistry, harmony, and genre hopping.