Strong arms lead Hawkeye baseball to second Big Ten win

Iowa had a quiet day offensively, but its two pitchers delivered.

Iowa+pitcher+Cam+Baumann+throws+a+pitch+during+the+first+game+of+a+baseball+doubleheader+between+Iowa+and+Cal-State+Northridge+at+Duane+Banks+Field+on+Sunday%2C+March+17%2C+2019.+The+Hawkeyes+defeated+the+Matadors%2C+5-4.+

Iowa pitcher Cam Baumann throws a pitch during the first game of a baseball doubleheader between Iowa and Cal-State Northridge at Duane Banks Field on Sunday, March 17, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Matadors, 5-4.

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

Thanks to a dominating effort on the mound, Iowa baseball won its second-straight game against Illinois.

The Hawkeyes took down the No. 25 Illini, 2-1, behind the arms of Cam Baumann and Trenton Wallace.

Baumann saw the starting nod and delivered in his six innings. The sophomore gave up Illinois’ lone run of the game and allowed just 5 hits. He also struck out four Illini batters.

Wallace took over for the game’s final three innings, and he looked just as sharp, if not more. His 1-hit, 4-strikeout outing silenced any soft of Illinois scoring late in the game.

In its earlier win over Illinois on Friday, Iowa’s bats came up big – the Hawkeyes notched 13 hits, nearly double the total of their previous game on Tuesday against Bradley.

However, Saturday was a different story. Illinois pitchers Ty Weber, Nathan Lavender, and WQuinten Sefcik looked sharp, giving up 5 hits in total while striking out 11 Hawkeyes.

No player on the Iowa roster recorded multiple hits; Mitchell Boe, Izaya Fullard, Connor McCaffery, Chris Whelan, and Tanner Wetrich all had one.

Iowa will take on Illinois in the series finale on March 31 at 1 p.m. at Banks Field.