Notebook: High and tight

Iowa running back Akrum Wadley is using tricks to combat his fumble problems.

By Danny Payne

Every week, Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz and his players meet with the media to talk about anything and everything. This week, the 10th-ranked Hawkeyes talked ball security, health, and other topics.

Wadley ready for No. 1 role

After suffering a high-ankle sprain against Northwestern, Jordan Canzeri gave way to Akrum Wadley as the featured ball carrier in the Hawkeye backfield. With Canzeri week-to-week, Wadley is listed as Iowa’s No. 1 running back for its game against Maryland on Saturday.

Since he burst onto the scene with a 100-plus-yard performance against Northwestern in 2014, Iowa fans have seen what he is capable of, but they have also seen fumbles hold him back from a prominent role the backfield.

However, Wadley is using all sorts of tricks to combat that since his fumble in the opener against Illinois State this season.

“I have my football in the locker room, I usually walk around campus with it,” Wadley said. “I try to keep it high and tight, sometimes I keep two hands on it; Derrick Mitchell usually tries to get it out when I’m not looking.

“… I get a couple comments [around campus] — keep it high and tight, no fumbles. And they compliment me on the game I just had.”

After his big game against the Cats last season, Wadley said he lost focus, hence the fumble problems and his being on the bench for a good portion of the season.

However, this season, Wadley vows he isn’t going to lose that drive with his undefeated team heading into the home stretch.

“I’m just trying to stay consistent this time around — trying to eat, maintain my weight,” Wadley said. “In practice, I’m carrying the ball around even when I’m not in, just keeping it high and tight.”

Health after the bye

It’s no secret Iowa’s bye week came at an opportune time. C.J. Beathard was gimpy at best, Tevaun Smith was coming off a right knee injury, LeShun Daniels Jr. was still hurt, the offensive line was thrown together, and Drew Ott suffered an ACL tear the week before. That’s only naming a few.

However, because of Iowa’s bye week, Beathard, Smith, and Company are feeling much better. Smith said he’s sitting at 98 percent and will be fully healthy after the team’s day off Thursday. Beathard also said he’s close to 100 percent, and will be ready to go Saturday after a full week of practice.

“Making those explosive plays, helping C.J. out like two weeks ago against Northwestern. He wasn’t as mobile, so receivers had to help him out, so did the running backs,” Smith said about his team’s preparation after the bye week. “We’ve just been focused on stuff like that.”

In other injury news, according to head coach Kirk Ferentz, Jake Duzey (co-No. 2 tight end with George Kittle) and left tackle Boone Myers are expected to play. Barring any setbacks, Iowa’s offensive line from left to right against Maryland will be Myers, Sean Welsh, Austin Blythe, Jordan Walsh, and Cole Croston. James Daniels will rotate in, presumably at guard.

Canzeri and right tackle Ike Boettger aren’t expected to play against the Terrapins.

Ferentz talks numbers

Much talk has been made of Iowa’s ascending the AP Top 25 poll and a general rise onto the national scene. Some around the nation are Hawkeye believers and some aren’t.

However, with five games left in the Big Ten schedule, Ferentz doesn’t want to see his team buy into the hype surrounding his program, especially when the first College Football Playoff poll is released next week.

“We’ve got 62.5, to be exact, percent of our Big Ten schedule to play yet,” Ferentz said. “So to worry about those things is really kind of silly, and really, you know, you get defined by what you do on the field.

“… You only play 12 games, so you better take advantage of each week, because it’s not like you get 162 of them.”