Iowa soccer wins in last seconds against Minnesota

Samantha Tawharu scored a header right before time expired to give the Hawkeyes their sixth Big Ten win of the season.

Jenna Galligan

Iowa forward Samantha Tawharu fends off Rutgers midfielder Gabby Provenzano during the Iowa v Rutgers soccer game at the Iowa Soccer Complex on Friday, October 11, 2019. The Hawkeyes fell to the Scarlet Knights 0-1.

Isaac Goffin, Sports Reporter

It looked like it was going to be the second tie in the row for the Iowa soccer team. After all, there was only 22 seconds left in the second overtime at Minnesota.

Not so fast. Sophomore forward Samantha Tawharu scored a header off a pass from senior forward Emma Tokuyama, giving the Hawkeyes the 2-1 victory over the Golden Gophers. This was Tawharu’s fourth goal of the season and Tokuyama’s fourth assist of the season. Tawharu came into the game just seven seconds before she scored the goal.

The Hawkeyes are now 14-3-1 overall (6-3-1 in the Big Ten) and are fifth in the Big Ten with 19 points.

The Hawkeyes struck first in the 37th minute when sophomore forward Skylar Alward scored her second goal of the season with the assists coming from Tawharu and Tokuyama.

The lead didn’t last long. Twenty-one minutes later, freshman midfielder Paige Elliot knotted the score up after an assist from sophomore defender Alana Dressely.

Iowa led the game in most of the statistical categories, with 19 shots compared to Minnesota’s 13, six corners compared to Minnesota’s three, and nine fouls compared to Minnesota’s three. Minnesota had more saves, as they had six compared to Iowa’s five.

“We showed great character to win today against a good Minnesota team on the road on a day we didn’t have as much energy as we would have liked,” head coach Dave DiIanni said in a release. “I like how this group rallied together, especially after the first half, knowing we didn’t have our best version of ourselves to battle and compete as a team. It’s a great weekend when you can go on the road in two difficult environments and come back with four points.”

RELATED: Iowa soccer ties Wisconsin in Madison

There is one more game left in the regular season for the Hawkeyes, as they play at home for a 1 p.m. start Oct. 27 against Ohio State.