Iowa soccer ties Wisconsin in Madison

The Hawkeyes and Badgers tied in what was a very competitive game between two of the Big Ten’s best.

Hannah Kinson

Iowa midfielder Natalie Winters kicks the ball during a soccer game between Iowa and Illinois on Sept. 26, 2019 at the Iowa Soccer Complex. The Hawkeyes defeated the Fighting Illini, 3-1.

Isaac Goffin, Sports Reporter

One hundred and ten minutes was not enough time for the Iowa soccer team to win or lose, as it tied Wisconsin in Madison 2-2.

The Hawkeyes are now 13-3-1 overall (5-3-1 in the Big Ten). Though it was a draw, it did come against the No. 10 ranked team in the nation, and it was the first time the Badgers didn’t win a game in Big Ten play this season.

It looked like the Hawkeyes were going to win, until they were called for a handball inside the penalty box and senior forward Dani Rhodes scored a penalty kick in the 73rd minute.

Before that, the Badgers were also called for a handball inside the penalty box. Senior midfielder and defender Natalie Winters scored a penalty kick in the 54th minute. It was her eighth penalty kick conversion of her career and her sixth goal of the season, which is tied for the team lead.

The game didn’t get off to a great start for the Hawkeyes, as in the eighth minute, junior forward Cameron Murtha scored for the Badgers.

Despite that, the Hawkeyes quickly responded, as freshman forward Gianna Gourley scored her fourth goal of the season in the 19th minute, with the assist coming from senior forward Devin Burns.

As suggested by the tie, the game was evenly played. The Hawkeyes led the game in shots, 15-11, and shots on goal, 8-5, as well as fouls, 13-11. The Badgers led the game in corner kicks, 7-6, and saves, 6-3.

“The team is disappointed not to get a win in a difficult environment and against a great team but we’re so proud of the way we played and competed,” head coach Dave DiIanni said in a release. “It was a fun game to be involved in, filled with a lot of momentum swings for both teams. Every game in this league requires your best or you won’t be very successful, so we know the turnaround to prepare for a good Minnesota team will come fast.”

The Hawkeyes play next in Minnesota on Sunday at 1 p.m. The Golden Gophers are 2-10-4 overall (1-5-2 in the Big Ten) and tied Nebraska 1-1 in St. Paul tonight.