Election code changes presented to UISG

After months of work, the Election Reform Work Group has finalized and presented their election code changes to UISG.

The+Old+Capitol+is+seen+on+Thursday%2C+Nov.+30%2C+2017.+

Joseph Cress

The Old Capitol is seen on Thursday, Nov. 30, 2017.

Mastura Ibnat, News Reporter

The Election Reform Work Group, tasked with providing recommendations for changes to the election code, presented its thoughts at the University of Iowa Student Government meeting on Tuesday.

The committee met from June through September to finish the recommendations.

“These changes are intended to support a more equitable election process by creating a structure that limits bias, clarifies election codes, and supports a more proactive approach,” said Teri Schnelle, the chair of the election group.

The first recommendation is the creation of an assistant

Student Elections commissioner, the Election Complaints Board, and Election Appeals Board. Three justices will serve on each board, and one justice on the Appeals Board will be the assistant Student Elections commissioner.

The boards will hear complaints and appeals to determine sanctions and definitions of frivolous complaints.

Further recommendations included the creation of an election website on which information covering the election process, election code, timeline, voting information, and candidate information would be posted. The website will be designed to ensure that information about complaints, answers, and decisions are posted transparently.

There will also be a reduction of votes to replace fines that were set in place for election-code violations. If people are found in violation of the election code, they will receive demerits, which determines how many votes will be reduced.

Executive and senator tickets will now be limited to 15 or 20 senators. The official number is to be determined by UISG.

The 10 percent threshold for independent senators will be removed. Instead, seven independent senators with the highest votes will receive spots.

RELATED: UISG budget is built on student dollars: how the organization wields its budget

Individual campaign websites will be removed and posted on the election website, so all election information is found on one platform. UISG will pay Student Life Marketing and Design to take candidate photos for the ballot, which will then be used on the election website.

Candidates will also submit a mid-campaign and final financial report, which will be posted online.