Iowa picks up first Big Ten win before crucial bye week

After a close first half, Iowa picked up the pace and beat Illinois before heading into an important bye week.

Pete Ruden, [email protected]

Iowa finally found its offense again in its 45-16 Homecoming win over Illinois on Oct. 7 in Kinnick.

While the first half was a lot closer than many would have thought — the Illini went into halftime down only 4 — the second half opened up the game for the Hawkeyes.

Iowa scored 28 points in the third and fourth quarters and held the Illinois offense to just 3. The boost in scoring was exactly what the Hawkeyes needed after scoring just 10 points at Michigan State last week.

“We were resilient. You just gotta be consistent,” running back Akrum Wadley said. “Last week, we weren’t that good as a unit. It’s good that we bounced back.”

Wadley played a key role in the win. After rushing for just 30 yards against the Spartans, he racked up 115 yards on the ground to go along with a touchdown, while also scoring through the air.

There was also noticeable change in the passing attack.

Nate Stanley threw for 247 yards and 3 touchdowns, which raised him to No. 2 in the Big Ten and top eight in the country with 15 passing touchdowns on the season.

RELATED: Alumni come home to Hawkeye win

He spread the ball around in the process, hitting six different receivers, something that Iowa hasn’t done in recent games.

Iowa has played in many close games during the season, and the lessons learned are starting to show.

“I think we just continue to fight,” Stanley said. “If something’s not going well, we’ve just continued to grind it out and get scores when you need them. Being able to continue to play no matter the circumstances is something that I think we’ve done pretty well this year.”

The defense, on the other hand, didn’t play up to its usual standards in some fashions.

Despite giving up only 16 points, Illinois gained 446 yards, even though it went into the game averaging just 267.3 yards per game.

The most important thing Iowa did, though, was force turnovers. Illini quarterback Jeff George Jr. threw 3 interceptions, and Anthony Nelson forced a fumble that Iowa recovered.

While there were a lot of them, no turnover was bigger than Brandon Snyder’s Pick-6 in the third quarter.

RELATED: Snyder bounces back after ACL injury

Trailing 17-13, Illinois was driving and had the ball at Iowa’s 22. Instead of going ahead, Snyder turned the tables in his first game back from ACL surgery.

“I can’t say enough about the work that he’s done when he’s been away from the field and not able to be out there in the huddle,” head coach Kirk Ferentz said about Snyder. “For him to get a Pick-6 today and give us a spark like he did, that’s just really poetic justice, if you will.”

Heading into the bye week, Iowa’s win will prove to be a big one. Instead of going into the off week with a 3-3 record and no conference wins, the Hawkeyes own a 4-2 record and picked up their first Big Ten victory of the year.

Stanley said the bye week will be a good time for Iowa to keep working and clean up the mistakes it has made in the first six games.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor
Pete Ruden is the Sports Editor at the DI, where he has worked since the beginning of his college career. He has covered a variety of sports at the DI, including football, men’s basketball, baseball, wrestling, and men’s tennis. Currently a junior, he served as a sports reporter his freshman year, before becoming the Assistant Sports Editor his...
  • Iowa picks up first Big Ten win before crucial bye week

Football

Iowa linebacker Nick Niemann to miss time with leg injury

Football

Here are the answers to 4 questions we had before the Hawkeye football season

Football

Quarterbacks step up as Big Ten play gains momentum

Football

By the numbers: Iowa football and the offense

Football

Iowa football’s road to the Big Ten championship is a long one

Football

Point-Counterpoint: Who will win the Big Ten West?

Former Hawkeye C.J. Beathard takes over for 49ers

Football

Hensley: The Big Ten West is Wisconsin’s to lose now

DITV

DITV Football: Sept 25, 2018

Football

Hornibrook’s big day against Hawkeye football comes at a big time