Iowa women’s gymnastics bounces back with win at Rutgers

The GymHawks took down the Scarlet Knights, 196.300-195.325.
Matt Sindt
Iowa’s Karina Muñoz competes on beam during session two of the Big Ten Gymnastics Championship at Xtream Arena in Coralville, Iowa, on Saturday, March 18, 2023. Michigan won the Big Ten women’s gymnastics title with a score of 198.000.

The Iowa women’s gymnastics team got back to its winning ways after topping Rutgers, 196.300-195.325, on Friday night in Piscataway, New Jersey. 

The GymHawks earned 49.000 or better in three of the four events. The team’s overall team score was only one-tenth behind the season-high.

The GymHawks took a win on their first apparatus of bars with a score of 49.100 — earning first-, second-, and third-place event finishes. Second-year Gianna Masella earned a career-high and an event win with an impressive score of 9.875.

Anchoring the GymHawks was second-year Kariña Munoz, posting a 9.850 and placing second in the event. Rounding out the top three finishes was first-year Eva Volpe — scoring a 9.825 and earning one of many career bests on the evening. 

Vault

The second rotation on vault was the only apparatus the GymHawks didn’t win, posting a score of 48.750.

Leading the charge for Iowa were Muñoz and Volpe again — notching a pair of 9.850s and tying for second place in the event. Volpe yet again earned a personal best. 

Floor

The GymHawks bounced back in the third apparatus of floor with a strong performance of 49.175. Second-year Bailey Libby and Muñoz took second place in the event with a pair of 9.850s. This was Muñoz’s first appearance on the floor in the 2024 season.

The first-year pair of Alyse Karenbauer and Volpe put up a pair of 9.825s each. 

Beam

Iowa clinched the win over the Scarlet Knights with a score of 49.275 on the beam.

Ilka Juk continued to dominate the event this year for the GymHawks, earning a 9.900 and taking home the event title. Fourth-year Aubrey Nick brought in a score of 9.875. Nick has earned a career-high in back-to-back meets now for Iowa. Volpe recorded her fourth personal best on the evening with a score of 9.850.

All-around

Muñoz took home the all-around title in her 2024 debut, tying her career best of 39.400. Volpe broke her season-best on all-around for the third-consecutive week in a row, notching a 39.350. 

“I am proud of the resilience that the team showed tonight. The team mentality and energy really showed, and I am proud of how they were able to pick each other up,” Iowa head coach Larissa Libby said in a release. “We suffered some big blows early in the year, and I think we are finally finding our new identity and what we need to do to compete. They came out tonight and were authentically themselves, and we came away with the win.”

Up next

The Iowa women’s gymnastics team returns home to take on Ohio State on Friday, Feb. 16. The Gymhawks will be competing in Carver-Hawkeye Arena to celebrate senior day. The event will start at 6:30 p.m.