UI Young Americans for Freedom to host ‘detransitioner’ at IMU

Chloe Cole will speak at the Iowa Memorial Union’s Black Box Theater on Oct. 16.
A+podium+sits+in+the+Iowa+Memorial+Union+during+a+lecture+organized+by+the+University+of+Iowa+Chapter+of+YAF+for+Matt+Walsh%E2%80%99s+%E2%80%9CWhat+Is+a+Woman%3F%E2%80%9D+documentary+on+Wednesday%2C+April+19%2C+2023.+Prior+to+the+lecture%2C+progressive+students+called+for+the+lecture+to+be+suspended+because+of+Walsh%E2%80%99s+transphobic+remarks+and+organized+protests.+
Ayrton Breckenridge
A podium sits in the Iowa Memorial Union during a lecture organized by the University of Iowa Chapter of YAF for Matt Walsh’s “What Is a Woman?” documentary on Wednesday, April 19, 2023. Prior to the lecture, progressive students called for the lecture to be suspended because of Walsh’s transphobic remarks and organized protests.

The University of Iowa chapter of Young Americans for Freedom will host Chloe Cole, a 19-year-old “detransitioner,” in the Iowa Memorial Union in October.

The conservative student group previously brought right-wing commentator Matt Walsh in April and campaign manager for former President Donald Trump, Kellyanne Conway, in 2022.

Walsh’s appearance at the IMU sparked a large protest with hundreds of UI students and community members gathering in opposition to Walsh’s anti-transgender views.

The event will take place at the Black Box Theatre on Oct. 16 at 7 p.m.

Cole has become popular among conservatives for her stark anti-trans views and her criticism of “gender ideology,” specifically in opposition to gender-affirming care for minors.

Cole’s account on X, formerly known as Twitter, has accumulated over 193,000 followers.