2023-24 Iowa men’s and women’s golf squads gear up for season

The Hawkeye men will open their season on Sept. 5, with the women first competing on Sept. 17.
Emily Nyberg
Iowa’s Mac McClear takes a swing during the Hawkeye invitational at Finkbine Golf Course in Iowa City on Saturday, April 15, 2023. The Hawkeyes lead after all three rounds of the two-day tournament, and took both the team and individual sweepstakes with Iowa’s Mac McClear taking the individual title.

The Iowa men’s and women’s golf seasons are right around the corner.

The Hawkeye men will open their season by hosting the Iowa Fall Classic on Sept. 5 at Blue Top Ridge Golf Course in Riverside. The Iowa women will start competition on Sept. 17 at the Badger Invitational in Madison, Wisconsin.

Both squads have a balance of youth and veteran experience that will help guide them through the ups and downs of the upcoming golf season.

Women’s team

Head coach Megan Menzel is back for her 13th year and brings a team with a high confidence level into the new season.

With only two seniors on the roster last season, the lack of experience seemed to catch up with the Hawkeyes. Iowa’s best season finish was fifth place in the Tulane Classic.

After an 11th-place finish at the Big Ten Championships in Pittsburgh, the Hawkeyes were invited to the National Golf Invitational in Arizona. Iowa secured its highest tournament finish in two years in second place, 11 strokes behind champion Penn State.

With an impressive finish to the season, the Hawkeyes look to carry that momentum into 2023.

What to watch for

Last season, freshman Shannyn Vogler led the Hawkeyes in five tournaments and won the individual title at the National Golf Invitational in Arizona. Vogler is expected to continue her strong performance into her sophomore year.

Key returners

Along with Vogler, Paula Miranda comes into her junior season on a high note, having posted five rounds at or below par. Miranda is one of two juniors on the roster, the other being Caroline Gray.

Impact newcomers

Freshman Ximena Benites was a standout player in Peru and was honored by the Congress of Peru as the South American Pre-Juvenile Champion in 2021. The 17-year-old was also recognized for her work in the classroom at San José Obrero Marianistas High School, having been named Student of the Year twice.

Schedule at a glance

The Hawkeyes will travel to Wisconsin, Texas Tech, Yale, and Hawaii in the fall. The spring schedule will be released later.

Men’s team

Head coach Tyler Stith is entering his tenth season at the helm of the Hawkeyes. Iowa has appeared in five NCAA regionals during his tenure.

Despite not qualifying for regionals, the Hawkeyes ended last season on a strong note with a fifth-place finish at the Big Ten Championships in New Jersey, which were cut short after 36 holes because of weather.

Iowa also finished in first place in both home tournaments, the Iowa Fall Classic and Hawkeye Invitational.

What to watch for

Last season, Mac McClear earned his second Big Ten title, becoming the first-ever Hawkeye to do so. The fifth-year veteran should have yet another strong season, as Iowa looks to return to regional play.

Key returners

Iowa is returning four veterans in 2023, including Callum Macfie. From Yorkshire, England, Macfie finished the season with a 74.7 stroke average and received academic Big Ten honors.

Impact newcomers

During the offseason, the Hawkeyes dipped into the transfer portal and added graduate student Josh Lundmark from Cornell. The Illinois native led the Big Red in stroke average during his final two seasons in Ithaca and should give the Hawkeyes a veteran presence in the locker room.

Schedule at a glance

The Hawkeyes’ fall schedule includes trips to Notre Dame and Ole Miss. The spring schedule features visits to Houston and Ohio State. The Big Ten Championships will be held April 26-28 in Columbus, Ohio.