Live results | Iowa men’s wrestling team competes in Session I of Big Ten Championships

The Hawkeyes will begin their pursuit of a Big Ten Title at 9 a.m. Central Standard Time at the Crisler Center.

Ayrton Breckenridge

No. 7 nationally ranked 165-pound Iowa’s Patrick Kennedy walks towards the mat during a wrestling dual between No. 2 Iowa and No. 9 Michigan at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Friday, Feb. 10, 2023. The Hawkeyes defeated the Wolverines 33-8.

Kenna Roering, Sports Reporter

ANN ARBOR — The No. 2 Iowa men’s wrestling team will compete in Session I of the Big Ten Championships at 9 a.m. at the Crisler Center. The Hawkeyes are heading into the tournament 13-1 with their lone loss coming against Penn State, 23-14, on Jan. 27. Iowa hasn’t won a Big Ten title since 2021.

Two Hawkeyes won’t participate in first-round action, as 125-pound Spencer Lee and 141-pound Real Woods earned No. 1 seeds and automatic quarterfinal qualification. Lee is on the hunt for his third conference title, while Woods is making his Big Ten postseason debut.

Iowa’s 157-pound Cobe Siebrecht and 165-pound Patrick Kennedy will make their postseason debuts in the first round. Siebrecht earned a No. 5 seed and will face Ohio State’s No. 12 seed Paddy Gallagher. Siebrecht is coming off a 3-2 tiebreaker loss to Oklahoma State’s then-No. 11 Kaden Gfeller.

Kennedy received a No. 3 seed and will take on Maryland’s No. 14 seed John Best. Kennedy is 16-2 on the season, with his lone Big Ten loss coming from Wisconsin’s No. 1 seed Dean Hamiti, who has a first-round bye.

Junior Abe Assad, a No. 5 seed at 184 pounds, will face Purdue’s No. 12 seed Ben Vanadia. Assad missed Iowa’s dual meets against Penn State, Minnesota, and Michigan this season because of an undisclosed injury. Assad made his return to the mat on Feb. 19 with a victory over Oklahoma State’s then-No. 10 Travis Wittlake, 4-2.

Follow the live blog below for updates throughout the afternoon:

First-round

133 POUNDS: No. 8 Brody Teske (IA) over No. 9 RayVon Foley (MSU) via decision

Teske struck first with a takedown on the edge halfway through the first period. Teske then started on bottom in the second and escaped for the lone point of the period. Teske continued his dominance on top in the third, mustering 2:17 of total riding time to clinch a 4-1 decision victory.

Teske will face Penn State’s No. 1 seed Roman Bravo-Young later today in the quarterfinals. Teske was pinned by Bravo-Young in this year’s dual meet between the Hawkeyes and Nittany Lions.

149 POUNDS: No. 4 Max Murin (IA) over No. 13 Peyton Omania (MSU) via injury default 

Omania got on the board with a takedown, but Murin responded with a reversal. On the reversal, Omania hit his head on the mat and appeared to be out cold for a couple of seconds. The match was halted so Omania could go through concussion protocols. After evaluation, Omania was not allowed to return.

Murin will face Penn State’s No. 5 seed Shayne Van Ness in the quarterfinals. Murin defeated Van Ness, 4-1, earlier this season.

157 POUNDS: No. 5 Cobe Siebrecht (IA) over No. 12 Paddy Gallagher (OSU) via major decision 

Siebrecht scrambled for a takedown and titled Gallagher for a four-point near fall. Siebrecht escaped and mustered 2:45 of riding time to shut out Gallagher, 8-0.

Siebrecht will face Michigan State’s No. 4 seed Chase Saldate in the quarterfinals.

165 POUNDS: No. 3 Patrick Kennedy (IA) over No. 14 John Best (MD) via major decision 

Kennedy started fast in his postseason debut and earned a takedown in the first 20 seconds of the bout. He kept his foot on the gas, scoring nine total takedowns en route to a 22-8 victory.

Kennedy will face Northwestern’s No. 6 seed Maxx Mayfield in the quarterfinals. Kennedy defeated Mayfield, 4-2, earlier this season.

174 POUNDS: No. 7 Nelson Brands (IA) over No. 10 Jackson Turley (RUT) via decision 

It was a scoreless first period of hand-fighting. Brands started on bottom in the second and escaped with about a minute left in the period to clinch a 1-0 victory.

He will face Nebraska’s No. 2 seed Mikey Labriola, who narrowly defeated Brands, 3-2, in this year’s dual meet on Jan. 20.

184 POUNDS: No. 5 Abe Assad (IA) over No. 12 Ben Vanadia (PUR) via decision 

Assad scored a takedown two minutes into the first period. Assad earned another takedown before Vanadia escaped in the third to get on the board. Assad totaled 1:45 of riding time to win, 6-1. Assad pinned Vanadia in 4:15 in this year’s dual meet between the Hawkeyes and Boilermakers.

Assad will face Michigan’s No. 4 seed Matt Finesilver in the quarterfinals.

197 POUNDS: No. 5 Jacob Warner (IA) over No. 12 Andrew Davison (NU) decision 

Warner scored two takedowns throughout the match and piled up 3:47 of riding time to win, 6-2. Warner is now 2-0 all-time against Davison, who he beat in last season’s dual meet, 11-2.

Warner will face Michigan State’s  No. 4 seed Cam Caffrey in the quarterfinals. Warner beat Caffrey, 5-3, at the Big Ten Tournament last season.

HEAVYWEIGHT: No. 3 Tony Cassioppi (IA) over No. 14 Austin Emerson (NEB) via major decision 

Cassioppi earned three takedowns, two escapes, a stall point, and 3:55 of total riding time en route to a 10-0 victory.

Cassioppi will take on Rutgers’ No. 6 seed Boone McDermott in the quarterfinals.

Quarterfinals

125 POUNDS: No. 1 Spencer Lee (IA) vs No. 9 Jack Medley (MICH) via tech fall

Lee kicked off the quarterfinals for the Hawkeyes. Lee scored a takedown and four back points to lead, 6-0, after the first period. Lee continued to dominate his way to a 17-0 tech fall in the second period.

Lee will face Minnesota’s No. 5 seed Patrick McKee in the semifinals at 7:30 p.m. Lee defeated McKee, 7-1, in this year’s dual meet.

133 POUNDS: No. 1 Roman Bravo-Young (PSU) over No. 8 Brody Teske (IA) via major decision

Teske never had much of a chance against Bravo-Young, who cruised to a 13-2 victory with 5:06 of riding time.

Teske can still wrestle back for third place in Session II. He will face Wisconsins’ No. 10 seed Taylor Lamont, who he beat, 4-0, earlier this season.

141 POUNDS: No. 1 Real Woods (IA) over No. 8 Parker Filius (PUR) via fall

Woods was aggressive off the whistle. He led, 6-0, before pinning Filius in 2:07.

During his junior year at Stanford, Woods beat Filius, 8-0, at the NCAA Championships.

Woods will face Northwestern’s No. 4 seed Frankie Tal Shahar in the semifinals. Woods earned a 17-2 tech fall over Tal Shahar earlier this season.

149 POUNDS: No. 4 Max Murin over Shayne Van Ness (PSU) via decision

Murin scored a takedown. Van Ness knotted it at two at the end of the second period. Murin regained the lead with an escape in the third and held on to win, 4-1, with 1:14 of total riding time. Murin beat Van Ness, 4-1, on Jan. 27.

Murin will face Ohio State’s No. 1 Sammy Sasso in the semifinals.

157 POUNDS: No. 4 Chase Saldate (MSU) over No. 5 Cobe Siebrecht (IA) via decision 

Siebrecht nearly got pinned in the first period but rolled through to limit the damage. But, Siebrecht couldn’t muster a takedown and fell, 9-2.

Siebrecht will head to the wrestle backs and face the winner of Maryland’s No. 14 seed Michael North and Minnesota’s No. 11 seed Brayton Lee.

165 POUNDS: No. 3 Patrick Kennedy (IA) over Maxx Mayfield (NU) via major decision

Kennedy jumped out to a 2-0 lead. He scored another takedown on the edge in the second. Mayfield scored a takedown with 30 seconds left in the match. But, Kennedy instantly responded with two more takedowns to clinch an 11-3 major decision with over two minutes of riding time.

Kennedy will face Michigan’s No. 2 seed Cameron Amine in the semifinals.

174 POUNDS:  No. 2 Mikey Labriola (NEB) over No. 7 Nelson Brands (IA) via decision

Labriola scored a takedown in the first period. Brands was in on Labriola’s leg in the third, but he couldn’t convert and fell, 5-2.

Brands will face Michigan’s No. 9 seed Max Taylor in the Session II wrestlebacks.

184 POUNDS: No. 4 Matt Finesilver (MICH) over No. 5 Abe Assad (IA)  via fall

It was scoreless in the first period. Finesilver then earned an escape and takedown before locking up a cradle and pinning Assad in the second period.

Assad will face the winner of Maryland’s No. 14 seed Kevin Makosky and Northwestern’s No. 11 seed Evan Bates in the Session II consolations.

197 POUNDS: No. 5  Jacob Warner (IA) over No. 4 Cam Caffey (MSU) via decision 

The bout was scoreless through the first period. Warner took the lead with an escape and then a stall point. Caffey then scored a reversal in the final seconds of the match, but Warner prevailed, 3-2, with riding time.

Warner will face Penn State’s No. 1 Max Dean in the semifinals. Warner lost to Dean in the NCAA finals last season and in this year’s dual meet.

HEAVYWEIGHT: No. 3 Tony Cassioppi (IA) over No. 6 Boone McDermott (RUT) via fall

Cassioppi came out hot, scoring a takedown in the first 10 seconds. He kept his foot on the gas and pinned McDermott in 2:54.

Cassioppi will face Penn State’s No. 2 Greg Kirkvliet in the semifinals. Cassioppi is 3-1 all-time against Krikvliet, losing to him in this year’s dual meet.

Iowa and Penn State are tied with 63.5 points through Session I

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.