Former Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick enters race for president

TNS

Former Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick stands in the visitor center of the New Hampshire State House after he filed his paperwork to run for president in 2020 at the New Hampshire State House on November 14, 2019 in Concord, New Hampshire. Patrick announced his late entry to the presidential race with less than three months to go before the first nominating contest. (Scott Eisen/Getty Images/TNS)

Sarah Watson, Politics Editor

As the Democratic presidential field appeared to narrow, former Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, 63, announced on Twitter he’s running for president.

In a tweet Wednesday, less than three months before the Iowa caucuses, Patrick said he had a “determination to build a better, more sustainable, more inclusive American Dream for everyone.”

“I admire and respect the candidates in the Democratic field, they bring a richness of ideas and experience, and a depth of character that makes me proud to be a Democrat,” he said in his launch video posted to Twitter.
“This time is more than about removing an unpopular and divisive leader, and as important as that is, but delivering instead for you,” he went on to say.
Patrick, a native of the South Side of Chicago, was elected to the Massachusetts governor seat in 2006, making him one of the only black governors in the country at that time. He also served as the assistant attorney general in the civil rights division and
After leaving office, he joined Bain Capital, and currently serves as the managing director. He’s also worked in executive positions at Texaco and The Coca-Cola Company.
He’s not the only candidate at least considering a late entry to the presidential race.
Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is also considering a run for president. He filed his paperwork to run for president in Alabama, which had an early deadline, but hasn’t formally announced his run for the presidency yet.