Week 5 scouting report: Middle Tennessee State

Iowa has the chance to end its non-conference schedule on a high note before the rest of Big Ten play, but Middle Tennessee State has proven to be a competitive team.

Michigan linebacker Josh Uche (6) sacks Middle Tennessee quarterback Asher O'Hara (10) during their college football game at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, on Saturday, August 31, 2019. Michigan won the game, 40-21. (Mike Mulholland/MLive.com/TNS)

Pete Ruden, Pregame Editor

Coming into its game against Iowa with losses to Michigan and Duke, Middle Tennessee State isn’t the most fearsome team on the Hawkeyes’ schedule. Far from it.

But the Blue Raiders still boast a threat at quarterback with sophomore Asher O’Hara.

O’Hara leads Middle Tennessee State with 785 yards through the air and 202 yards on the ground. The Blue Raider offense revolves around him.

He can also put on a show against Big Ten programs, which is what he did when the Blue Raiders faced Michigan on Aug. 31.

Despite losing 40-21, O’Hara completed 22 of his 32 pass attempts for 217 yards, 2 touchdowns, and an interception, while running for another score.

O’Hara gave the Blue Raiders a lead over the Wolverines with an 18-yard touchdown run in the first quarter.

O’Hara immediately sensed pressure from the snap, but still managed to escape getting taken down behind the line of scrimmage. O’Hara then darted up an open middle of the field before doing his best Superman impression into the end zone.

Just a quarter later on third-and-goal, O’Hara again felt the pressure from the Wolverine defense. Instead of taking a sack, though, he used his mobility to scramble to the right. There, he found a wide-open Jarrin Pierce for an easy lob and six points.

O’Hara leads Middle Tennessee State with 329.0 yards per game. The next best Blue Raider is running back Chaton Mobley, who comes in at 35.7 yards per game.

O’Hara’s ability to make something out of nothing by using his legs is something Iowa will need to keep an eye on when the Blue Raiders march into Kinnick Stadium.

On the defensive side of the ball, Reed Blankenship plays the same role. He’s a playmaker that offenses need to be on the lookout for.

The Blue Raiders have played well when Blankenship’s at his best.

In Middle Tennessee State’s lone win of the season — a 45-26 beat down of Tennessee State on Sept. 7 — Blankenship picked off two passes and knocked down another.

With Tennessee State threatening in Blue Raider territory, Blankenship reads the quarterback’s eyes the whole way before darting to his right. From there, he made an athletic catch to end the possibility of Tennessee State extending its lead.

Blankenship also leads Middle Tennessee State with 25 tackles and has forced a fumble.

Middle Tennessee State falls short when it comes to getting pressure on the quarterback and absorbing pressure from other teams.

Through three games this season, the Blue Raiders have only racked up 2 sacks. They’ve given up 10. That’s a statistic Iowa can take advantage of with its stellar defensive line and always-solid offensive line.

When Duke quarterback Quentin Harris played Middle Tennessee State, he completed 24-of-27 passes for 237 yards and 4 touchdowns.

When Harris had time to scan the field, he made plays.

If Iowa can keep the Blue Raider defensive line at bay like the Blue Devils, quarterback Nate Stanley could be in for a big day.