Iowa City police make arrests in Hollywood Boulevard shooting

No injuries were reported in the Friday night shooting.

Brooklyn Draisey, Summer Editor

Iowa City police have arrested two men in connection with reports of shots fired around 11 p.m. June 21 on the 1100 block of Hollywood Boulevard. 

Officers responded to reports of a fight at 1102 Waterfront Drive in the parking lot. An investigation into the fight resulted in the arrests of Delorian Banks and Terrell Scott, who policie believe were responsible for the late-night shooting. 

No injuries were reported in the shooting.

Banks, 23, 1960 Broadway, is charged with intimidation with a weapon, going armed with intent, trafficking in stolen weapons, possession of a firearm as a felon, and reckless use of a firearm.

Going armed with intent, trafficking in stolen weapons, and possession of a firearm as a felon are classified as Class D felonies. Intimidation with a weapon is a Class C felony. Reckless use of a firearm is classified as an aggravated misdemeanor. 

Scott, 28, Joliet, Illinois, is charged with intimidation with a weapon, going armed with intent, reckless use of a firearm, and public intoxication. Public intoxication is a simple misdemeanor. 

RELATED: Iowa City police officers respond to reported gunshots Friday night 

According to the arrest affidavits of Banks and Scott, the two men arrived at 1102 Hollywood Blvd. in a silver Mitsubishi Galant, where they drove down the street with their lights off before turning around, heading back, and firing several shots at people in the parking lot. 

Police arrived and found 9 mm shell casings and a magazine to a 9 mm Smith & Wesson handgun in the street. 

When police responded to a fight at the Hy-Vee parking lot, Banks was reportedly attempting to leave in another vehicle with other passengers, according to the affidavits. Officers made contact, and Banks got out of the vehicle and sat on a curb. Police found a handgun matching the magazine on the floor of the back seat. 

The Galant was found a block away from Hy-Vee with a shell casing matching the gun on the floor of the back seat. Police said in the affidavit the handgun came up as stolen from Kenosha, Wisconsin, in 2011. 

Witnesses said they saw Banks firing the weapon during the incident and Scott driving the vehicle, according to the affidavits.