UI Ph.D. student found dead in Utah’s Canyonlands National Park

A student previously reported missing in Utah has since been found dead.

Marissa Payne, Managing Editor

UPDATE 3/16/19: Authorities revealed Hogue fell approximately 500 feet to his death. Read more here.

National park officials reported Friday that University of Iowa Ph.D. student Jonathon Hogue has been found dead after he was reported missing in Utah’s Canyonlands National Park earlier this week.

According to U.S. park rangers, Hogue’s vehicle was located at Green River Overlook at Island in the Sky on Sunday. A search for Hogue started Tuesday.

“The park thanks everyone who provided information and otherwise assisted with the search efforts, and advises that further inquiries should be directed to San Juan County Sheriff’s Office,” according to the park’s Facebook post.

Hogue, 33, “is a hiker and backpacker who is known to hike long distances, including off trail and scrambling,” according to a park Facebook post. “His dream was to be a park ranger.”

Hogue was a graduate teaching assistant at the UI earning a Ph.D. in geography, the university said in a tweet. 

“We are saddened by the loss of a student from the Hawkeye family,” interim Dean of Students Angie Reams said in an email to the UI community. “… Our thoughts are with Jonathon’s family, friends, and loved ones.”

Reams encouraged community members to reach out to resources for support or to contact the following offices:

• University Counseling Services (319-335-7294) or schedule an appointment online
  • Student Care and Assistance (319-335-1162)
  • UI Employee Assistance Program (319-335-2085)
  • CommUnity Crisis Services (formerly Johnson County Crisis Center)  (319-351-0140)