Michigan topples Iowa in Big Ten Tournament

The Wolverines’ top defense lived up to the hype in their rematch with the Hawkeyes.

Iowa+guard+Joe+Wieskamp+grabs+a+rebound+during+the+Iowa%2FMichigan+Big+Ten+Tournament+mens+basketball+game+in+the+United+Center+in+Chicago+on+Friday%2C+March+15%2C+2019.+The+Wolverines+lead+the+Hawkeyes%2C+40-27%2C+at+the+half.+

Lily Smith

Iowa guard Joe Wieskamp grabs a rebound during the Iowa/Michigan Big Ten Tournament men’s basketball game in the United Center in Chicago on Friday, March 15, 2019. The Wolverines lead the Hawkeyes, 40-27, at the half.

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

CHICAGO – Iowa’s short-lived run in the 2019 Big Ten Tournament came to a close on Friday, as it fell to Michigan, 74-53.

The Hawkeye defense fell apart, as the Wolverines shot 45.2 percent from the floor. Michigan drained 10 of its 30 3-point attempts – an area Iowa just could not counter.

Just one day removed from a 52.2 percent outing from 3-point range, the Hawkeyes made just one of their 16 attempts from downtown. Iowa didn’t hit it’s first 3-pointer till there was 1:08 left in the game.

Luka Garza and Tyler Cook led the Hawkeyes in scoring, netting 14 points each. No other players in the Black and Gold scored in double digits.

Ignas Braeikis led Michigan with 15 points. Four other Wolverines scored in double figures.

Defensively, the Wolverines held Iowa to 35.6 percent shooting (28.6 in the second half) and caused 11 turnovers. Iowa’s point total on Friday was its second-fewest of the season.

Now the Hawkeyes play the waiting game. Iowa will find out where it goes in the NCAA Tournament on March 17 – Selection Sunday.