Iowa City City Council OKs salary increase for council members

The council hopes the salary increase will encourage low-income residents to run for City Council.

In+City+Hall+on+Tuesday%2C+Dec.+4%2C+2018.+The+Iowa+City+City+Council+discusses+new+buildings+and+pay+raises+for+council+members.+

In City Hall on Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2018. The Iowa City City Council discusses new buildings and pay raises for council members.

Grace Colton

Grace Colton

Grace Colton

Caleb McCullough, News Reporter

The Iowa City City Council will see an increase in their wages beginning in January 2020.

In a 5-2 vote on Tuesday, the council decided to raise the annual salary of City Council members to $11,960, while the mayor’s salary was increased to $14,950. In accordance with Iowa law, the salary increase will not take effect until Jan. 1, 2020.

The last time City Council wages were increased was in 2010. City council salaries were then set at $7,072, while the mayor’s salary was set at $8,072.

In addition to the salary increase, City Council members will be receiving the same health insurance offered to half-time city employees. Currently, council members can receive the same health insurance as city employees, but they are required to pay for it themselves.

The salary was increased mainly to encourage low-income residents to run for City Council, said Simon Andrew, the assistant to the city manager.

“Council indicated that they have a desire to look at the salary structure, mostly to ensure that the most people have the ability to pursue being on the council as possible,” he said.

Council members echoed these sentiments at the City Council meeting on Tuesday.

RELATED: Some accuse new Ped Mall benches of discriminating against homeless

“I think this is a great opportunity for the council to allow individuals with less means to totally be a part of the council,” City Council member Bruce Teague said.

Additionally, the city conducted a survey looking at the salaries of City Council members in similar cities. Andrew said the increase would place Iowa City near the average among communities of similar size.

Mayor Jim Throgmorton added at the meeting that the City Council job has gotten bigger since the last time their salary was set.

“As somebody who served on this council 20 years ago, I can tell you the job is a lot harder, a lot more demanding, than it was 20 years ago,” Throgmorton said at the meeting.

Council members Mazahir Salih and Susan Mims voted against the increase.

Salih said she thought the raise was a good idea, and she agreed that it would help encourage low-income people to run for the council. However, Salih has previously proposed that the wages of city employees be increased, and that was a higher priority for her.

“We should have done that first before we increased our own salaries,” she said.

• Iowa City City Council OKs salary increase for council members

City Council

City Council likely to OK maximum height bonuses on Pentacrest Garden Apartments

City Council

Iowa City implements free transit to encourage voting

City Council

Iowa City flower supports two black-and-gold mascots: Honeybees and Herky

City Council

Iowa City auctions off City Park amusement rides

City Council

Bruce Teague beats out Ann Freerks in the Iowa City City Council special election

City Council

Community members quarrel over speed humps

City Council

Ann Freerks and Bruce Teague face off for vacant City Council position

City Council

Ann Freerks touts experience and understanding of issues in Iowa City City Council bid

City Council

City Council candidate Bruce Teague focuses on transportation, affordable housing

City Council

With Phase 1 approved by City Council, Iowa City eyes a new Public Works Facility