Hemingway will run for county supervisor in December, Carberry still ‘unsure’

Johnson+County+supervisor+candidate+Phil+Hemingway+stands+for+a+portrait+in+his+mechanic%E2%80%99s+shop+on+Wednesday%2C+Aug.+22%2C+2018.+

Johnson County supervisor candidate Phil Hemingway stands for a portrait in his mechanic’s shop on Wednesday, Aug. 22, 2018.

Katina Zentz

Katina Zentz

Katina Zentz

Aadit Tambe, News Reporter

Johnson County Supervisor Mike Carberry said he is unsure if he will run for a vacancy on the Board of Supervisors in December’s special election. Iowa City School Board member Phil Hemingway will run for the vacancy.

Following the death of Supervisor Kurt Freise on Oct. 26,  a committee voted 2-1 on Nov. 8 to hold a special election on Dec. 18 to fill the vacant seat.

Related: Special election will determine who fills Johnson County Board of Supervisors vacancy

Hemingway, who ran for supervisor in the Nov. 6 election as a Republican, said he will run again in December.

“With the decision made by Johnson County officials to have a special election to fill Kurt Friese’s supervisor seat, I will file paperwork to put my name on the upcoming ballot,” Hemingway said in an email to The Daily Iowan.

Carberry, a Democrat, has been a supervisor since 2014. He lost the primary election to Supervisor Janelle Rettig and Pat Heiden in July. His term ends in January.

Carberry said he is considering the pros and cons of running in the special election and said he might make a decision next week.

“I need to evaluate the opportunities before I make a decision,” he said. “There is no guarantee that I will win. I have been talking to my family and [consulting] with my advisers.”

Friese’s position was not on the ballot for the Nov. 6 election because Iowa Code prevents an election from being held on the three Tuesdays before or after primary and general elections.

Aadit Tambe, Assistant Digital Editor

Twitter: @aadittambe

Aadit serves as the Assistant Digital Editor at The DI. Currently a junior, he is working towards...

• Hemingway will run for county supervisor in December, Carberry still ‘unsure’

Iowa women’s basketball fans make NCAA Tournament history

Activist, pediatrician visited the UI to address the Flint public health disaster

Mills: Hawkeye men should look to women for example

TaJuan Wilson named third candidate for associate VP for diversity, equity, and inclusion

Baer leaves legacy of hard work, character at Iowa

Hawkeye football’s Kyle Groeneweg eyes chance at NFL

New postpartum depression medication approved by the FDA

Political Science professor among most cited in her field

UI religious-studies professor assists in History Channel docu-series ‘Jesus: His Life’

Three tickets will run in this year’s UISG election