Hemingway will run for county supervisor in December, Carberry still ‘unsure’

Johnson+County+supervisor+candidate+Phil+Hemingway+stands+for+a+portrait+in+his+mechanic%E2%80%99s+shop+on+Wednesday%2C+Aug.+22%2C+2018.+
Johnson County supervisor candidate Phil Hemingway stands for a portrait in his mechanic’s shop on Wednesday, Aug. 22, 2018.

Katina Zentz

Katina Zentz

Aadit Tambe, News Reporter

Johnson County Supervisor Mike Carberry said he is unsure if he will run for a vacancy on the Board of Supervisors in December’s special election. Iowa City School Board member Phil Hemingway will run for the vacancy.

Following the death of Supervisor Kurt Freise on Oct. 26,  a committee voted 2-1 on Nov. 8 to hold a special election on Dec. 18 to fill the vacant seat.

Related: Special election will determine who fills Johnson County Board of Supervisors vacancy

Hemingway, who ran for supervisor in the Nov. 6 election as a Republican, said he will run again in December.

“With the decision made by Johnson County officials to have a special election to fill Kurt Friese’s supervisor seat, I will file paperwork to put my name on the upcoming ballot,” Hemingway said in an email to The Daily Iowan.

Carberry, a Democrat, has been a supervisor since 2014. He lost the primary election to Supervisor Janelle Rettig and Pat Heiden in July. His term ends in January.

Carberry said he is considering the pros and cons of running in the special election and said he might make a decision next week.

“I need to evaluate the opportunities before I make a decision,” he said. “There is no guarantee that I will win. I have been talking to my family and [consulting] with my advisers.”

Friese’s position was not on the ballot for the Nov. 6 election because Iowa Code prevents an election from being held on the three Tuesdays before or after primary and general elections.

Aadit Tambe, News Reporter

Twitter: @aadittambe

Currently working as a digital producer and news reporter, Aadit has been involved with the DI for more than a year. He is working towards a bachelor’s degree in journalism and mass communication, with a minor in German. Aadit covers higher education, reporting on student life, the UI administration, and the state Board of Regents. He previously covered health and science for the DI.

• Hemingway will run for county supervisor in December, Carberry still ‘unsure’

Johnson County

Special election will determine who fills Johnson County Board of Supervisors vacancy

Breaking News

Johnson County Supervisor Kurt Friese has died

Johnson County

Johnson County makes plans to address poverty

Johnson County

Johnson County Board of Supervisors reflect on past year’s goals in annual report

Johnson County

Crisis Center collects donations for toilet paper drive

Johnson County

Members of Johnson County may benefit from community ID

Johnson County

West Branch farm donated to Sustainable Iowa Land Trust

2018 Midterm Election

How to vote early for the midterm elections

Johnson County Historical Poor Farm bringing in charitable food production, low-income housing

DITV

DITV: Who’s who in the Johnson County Board of Supervisors race?