Protesters and counter-protesters gather on Pentacrest in wake of Jeff Sessions firing

Protesters gathered on the steps of the Pentacrest on Wednesday night in the aftermath of Jeff Sessions removal from the Attorney General’s office.

Attendees chant during the

Attendees chant during the "Trump is not above the law" rally at the Pentacrest on Thursday, Nov. 8, 2018. The protest was organized in reaction to the Trump's firing of Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

Katina Zentz

Katina Zentz

Katina Zentz

Kate Pixley, News Reporter

Protesters took to the Pentacrest Thursday to stand against the President Trump’s recent moves to shakeup the U.S. Justice Department, gathering to send the message that “nobody’s above the law.”

The protest on the University of Iowa campus comes after Trump asked former Attorney General Jeff Sessions to resign on Wednesday. Rally attendees said they interpreted the firing to be a precursor to the dismissal of Special Counsel Robert Mueller, who is investigating possible coordination between the 2016 Trump campaign and Russia.

MoveOn, a progressive group that advocates for social justice and political progress, organized the event.

Former University of Iowa football player and Ankeny native Matthew Whitaker was appointed as the acting U.S. attorney general following Sessions’ resignation.

RELATED: Des Moines attorney will take Jeff Sessions’ position as Attorney General

Whitaker, a Republican Party affiliate, formerly worked in the U.S. Justice Department under President George W. Bush.

Organizers led protesters in a number of chants from the steps of the Old Capitol building. Chants included “Wake up Congress, do your job,” “Conclusion? Collusion!” and “Protect our journalists.”

Protesters hoisted signs with slogans such as “Not my President,” “Law & Order U.S.A.” and “Protect Mueller.”

UI student Emily Legel handed out poster board and permanent markers to fellow protesters so that they could make their own signs.

“A friend of mine helped organize it, and I decided to show up because I support protecting our democracy,” Legel said.

Despite the opposition from some Iowa City community members, Iowa’s Republican Sens. Chuck Grassley and Joni Ernst iterated their gratitude for Sessions’ service and support for Whitaker’s appointment in statements released Thursday.

RELATED: UI students encourage politicians to get active on social media

Grassley said Whitaker is an Iowan he’s known for many years who will “work hard and make us proud,” adding that the Justice Department is “in good hands” during the transition.

Ernst added, “Fellow Iowan Matt Whitaker is a man of integrity and values. As Acting Attorney General, Matt Whitaker is a steady hand that will provide good leadership and judgment, and will ensure that the United States Department of Justice upholds the highest standards of the rule of law.”

A small number of counter-protesters also attended. Counter-protester Devin Lynch held a sign that read “JOBS NOT MOBS. What are you protesting?” and said he was there to add levity to the situation.

“I’m with a couple groups on campus that just told us this was going on, so we decided to come out and make some signs, try to add a little bit of humor,” Lynch said.

Lynch also noted that he, like many of the protesters, was opposed to Sessions’ initial appointment.

“I absolutely don’t support Jeff Sessions. I think that was kind of the consensus among people on the left, too,” Lynch said. “Now that he’s being replaced by somebody that could be better who was a former Hawkeye, who played football here, who’s only been here for a day, we don’t know how he’ll do, and they’re already protesting a new person. They’re saying that he’ll inevitably be worse than Jeff Sessions, but how could they possibly know that?”

About the Photographer
Katina Zentz, Photo Editor

Katina Zentz is a photo editor at the DI. She is a junior at the University of Iowa and transferred from the Ringling...

• Protesters and counter-protesters gather on Pentacrest in wake of Jeff Sessions firing

Safe for now: Campus dining halls keep a close watch on food after FDA lapse in funding

UI student creates prosthetic limb covers

Dedicated chess players bring chess club back to the UI

Iowa City, UI track growing inventory of trees

UI researchers use drone cameras to map harmful algae in Iowa

UI Hospitals & Clinics

UI’s Institute for Vision Research receives $5 million gift for blinding eye disease

Shivers: UI focused on supporting underrepresented populations

Cedar Rapids man arrested in connection with multiple sexual assaults

New social work scholarship named after 67-year-old recent UI graduate

UI Facilities Management continues effort for energy-efficient lighting on campus