Des Moines attorney will take Jeff Sessions’ position as Attorney General

Matt Whitaker will take over the position of Attorney General after Jeff Sessions resigned today.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions looks on during a cabinet meeting in the Cabinet Room at the White House Oct. 17, 2018 in Washington, D.C. (Olivier Douliery/Abaca Press/TNS)

TNS

TNS

TNS

Sarah Watson, Politics Editor

After Jeff Sessions was asked to resign from the position of U.S. Attorney General on Nov. 7, University of Iowa graduate Matthew Whitaker will take on the role.

The Ankeny native assumed office as acting Attorney General after President Donald Trump forced Sessions out earlier today.

Whitaker worked under George W. Bush in the U.S. Department of Justice. He is affiliated with the Republican Party.

Whitaker played football for Iowa Hawkeyes during his time at the UI. He played as tight end for the Hawkeyes in the 1991 Rose Bowl.

An Ankeny High School graduate, Whitaker earned a Bachelor of Arts Degree with a major in communications from the University of Iowa. He then earned a Master of Business Administration, and a Juris Doctor, from the UI.

He worked as a managing partner of Hagenow Gustoff and Dummermuth LLP, a Des Moines based law firm. Whitaker worked for CNN as a legal commentator.

In a tweet, Wednesday, Trump said a permanent replacement for Sessions would be announced at a later time.

Facebook Comments