Nick Easley

Nick Rohlman

Wide reciever Nick Easley poses for a portrait during Iowa Football media day on Friday, Aug. 10, 2018.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Let me state the obvious really quickly: Iowa’s offense is so much better when its best playmakers are involved.

Take the game against Northern Iowa for example.

In the 38-14 win, the offense finally got on track, with Nick Easley leading the way offensively. The Hawkeyes looked Easley’s way early and often, and he responded by catching 10 passes for 103 yards and a touchdown.

In the other three games? A total of 2 receptions for 29 yards. Not the kind of numbers a No. 1 receiver such as Easley should have.

The offense struggled mightily against Iowa State and in the first half against Northern Illinois. But if you put one of those games next to the battle against the Panthers, they look like completely different games.

The offense was in such a rhythm against Northern Iowa, and a large part of that was thanks to Easley’s ability to allow the offense to settle in. He made plays when his name was called. He was consistent. He did exactly what he needed to do.

It’s worth noting that Iowa’s next leading receiver that game was Noah Fant, who caught 5 passes for 99 yards and a touchdown.

A tight end-wide receiver duo such as Fant and Easley is hard to stop. It’s very helpful for a quarterback to have two pass-catchers he can trust in any situation, and Fant and Easley fill that role.

The Hawkeyes need to get Easley and Fant involved as early and often as possible.