Iowa City named must-see literary destination

FILE - A customer shops for books at Prairie Lights Bookstore on Thursday, April 27, 2017. (The Daily Iowan/Nick Rohlman)

Brooklyn Draisey, [email protected]

Iowa City has yet another claim to fame in the literary world.

Expedia recently published its list of 20 must-see literary destinations, and Iowa City made it. Joining it are famous literary settings, including New Orleans and Bath, England, and homes of famous writers, such as Edinburgh, Scotland, where J.K. Rowling lives, and Concord, Massachusetts, where Ralph Waldo Emerson hung his hat and his fancy.

Locations were chosen based on four categories: bookstores, literary cred, literary events, and what the city is doing to foster future literary arts through writing programs, lectures, and workshops. Iowa City earned five stars in bookstores and writing programs and four in literary cred and events.

John Kenyon, the executive director of the Iowa City UNESCO City of Literature, said the recognition is the kind Iowa City deserves, and it gives bookish travelers a destination somewhat off the beaten path.

“For us, the designation has been a great way to shine a light on the wonderful literary attributes that we have here in the community,” he said. “I think it certainly helps to raise awareness to what we have here for folks who might not have otherwise known.”

RELATED: Iowa City remains UNESCO, despite U.S. withdrawal

Expedia cited the City of Literature as one of the main factors in making Iowa City legendary in the lit scene. Iowa City was the first city in North America to be given the title and the third in the world.

The City of Literature puts on literary events throughout the year, such as the Iowa City Book Festival, and hosts writing workshops and contests. Kenyon noted that Iowa City deserved this designation before it became a City of Literature, but it certainly helped.

“We had it before UNESCO decided to give us this designation, but I think it is one more thing that lets the rest of the world know that what we have here is worth celebrating,” he said.

The Iowa Summer Writing Festival and Mission Creek Festival were also noted, as well as the Iowa City Literary Walk.

Prairie Lights was noted by Expedia as a notable place to visit for literary tourists. Co-owner Jan Weismiller said being a City of Literature and the Iowa Writers’ Workshop is what really gave the city its title, and it helps Prairie Lights with its unique and large customer base.

“We’re able to do well here because of the high quality of readers in our town,” she said.

The Writers’ Workshop has consistently produced literary talent for more than 80 years and has seen distinguished visitors such as Robert Frost and Dylan Thomas. For freshman English major and aspiring writer Ryan Johnson, the UI offers connections he couldn’t get anywhere else.

“As an English student, it’s nice to know that there are opportunities where I’m studying that could especially be useful to open doors later on,” he said.

RELATED: On the wings of literature, culture

Weismiller said she hopes people see the article from all over the world, so they want to come see a place filled with both a literary history and future. Kenyon said it could help the local economy and Iowa City’s popularity overall, since people would be spending money here when they visit.

Brooklyn Draisey, News Editor

Brooklyn Draisey is a News Editors at the DI. She started at the DI her freshman year as a news reporter, covering...

• Iowa City named must-see literary destination

Downtown

‘Stronger than Hate’ panel sheds light on overcoming anti-Semitism

Iowa City Downtown District begins search for new nighttime mayor

Downtown

Crisis Center renames to ‘CommUnity’ in order to showcase its expanded services

Downtown

Simple & free: New food pantry at Iowa City Senior Center hopes to cater to community

Downtown

Iowa City Downtown District honors influential women in the city

City High grad skips college, starts business

The eccentric and intimate business of antiques

Downtown

Public Art Advisory Committee works on strategic plan after receiving increased funding

Hieronymus Square fire damage estimated to cost $1 million; cause determined

Iowa City fire personnel investigate Hieronymus Square fire