Cyclocross World Cup announced for Iowa City for third straight year

Cyclocross riders compete during the first day of Jinglecross at the Johnson County fairgrounds on Friday, Sept. 15, 2017. The three day cyclocross event will host events Friday night, masters ones on Saturday under the lights, and the UCI Telenet Cyclocross World Cup to close out the weekend on Sept. 17. Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

Christopher Borro, [email protected]

The Cyclo-Cross World Cup will dazzle local denizens for the third-consecutive year.

The Switzerland-based Union Cycliste Internationale announced on Feb. 2 that the 2018-19 Cyclo-Cross World Cup will be held at the Johnson County Fairgrounds from Sept. 28-30. It will be paired with Jingle Cross, a local cyclo-cross festival in its 15th year.

The cyclist union is the global governing body of all professional biking events, including Jingle Cross, the Tour de France, and Olympic cycling.

RELATED: Cyclocross entertains in Iowa City return

Cyclo-cross differs from regular cycling tournaments because of the variety of obstacles participants have to contend with. Courses often include steep hills, sand, mud, and other hindrances that require cyclists to quickly dismount and carry their bikes back to the paved pathways of the course.

Cyclists will climb the infamous hill at the Johnson County Fairgrounds, known as “Mt. Krumpit,” three times per lap.

Cyclo-cross courses are also usually around two miles long. The champion is often determined by the person who has reached the most distance at the end of a time limit, as compared to simply cycling a certain number of laps. There are races in both the men’s and women’s categories.

The sport is popular in European countries such as the Netherlands and Belgium. Individuals from these two countries have combined for seven of the last nine women’s World Cup victories and eight-straight men’s victories.

The Iowa City event will constitute the second leg of the 2018-19 World Cup, with the first in Waterloo, Wisconsin. Besides the men’s and women’s World Cups, the Iowa City leg will also host four additional professional cyclo-cross races, 65 amateur races, and an obstacle courses for children and dogs.

RELATED: Cyclocross Day finally arrives in Iowa City

• Cyclocross World Cup announced for Iowa City for third straight year

Downtown

Is Iowa City’s Ped Mall worthy of national landmark status?

Downtown

Big Grove executive chef named Iowa Restaurateur of the Year

Crime/Courts

Iowa City police request bids for cell phone-mapping software

Downtown

Design, safety contribute to Harrison Street Parking Facility award

Downtown

Gateway Project put to the test during recent flooding

Downtown

The Makers Loft is Iowa City’s latest spot for homegrown arts and crafts

Downtown

Public art is the focus of two local programs

Downtown

Cyclo-Cross World Cup concludes a drizzly third-annual Iowa City event

Crime/Courts

Police continuing fall patrols for ‘out-of-control’ parties

Downtown

New bus service connects Iowa City and Cedar Rapids